Ableton Live in jazz music?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Jan Dintheer

Ableton Live in jazz music?

Post by Jan Dintheer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:34 pm

I’m Jan a jazz guitar student from Switzerland and I’m writing my bachelor thesis about Ableton Live in jazz music and therefore I need some help/your knowledge.
What options does Ableton Live offer which are used in jazz? By who? And where do I get other information which could be interesting and helpful?

FYI: These are the three components I want to work on:
• How was/is Ableton Live used?
• What are the creative possibilities of Ableton Live?
• What role do controllers have in playing loops and controlling effects?

I’m looking forward to your answer.
Jan

jlgrimes

Re: Ableton Live in jazz music?

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:56 pm

Jan Dintheer wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:34 pm
I’m Jan a jazz guitar student from Switzerland and I’m writing my bachelor thesis about Ableton Live in jazz music and therefore I need some help/your knowledge.
What options does Ableton Live offer which are used in jazz? By who? And where do I get other information which could be interesting and helpful?

FYI: These are the three components I want to work on:
• How was/is Ableton Live used?
• What are the creative possibilities of Ableton Live?
• What role do controllers have in playing loops and controlling effects?

I’m looking forward to your answer.
Jan

I play more R&B but with live improv in a band.

I mainly use it as a live keyboard rig. I probably use VIP VST more than anything though.

What I'm thinking of doing is adding loops to the mix but I know I will probably need another controller to trigger loops.

Jan Dintheer

Post by Jan Dintheer » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:52 am

Thanks man!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:27 am

That's a broad question, and I think you should try to reach out for Jazz players using Live specifically because in such a large and diverse user base you will mostly have answers that mainly shows that Live is used in millions different ways (times its 2 views);
to do any kind of music or even do things more music-related than purely music or even just sound editing;
from church to the video game industry;
by people who don't know where a C is placed on a keyboard to music theory gurus...
Ableton Forum Moderator

Jan Dintheer

Post by Jan Dintheer » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:47 pm

thanks
it's hard to contact significant musician...:/

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:00 pm

Jan Dintheer wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:47 pm
thanks
Yeah I understand, but as I said I'm not sure it'd be easier to ask here.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Jan Dintheer

Post by Jan Dintheer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:37 am

[jur] wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:00 pm
Jan Dintheer wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:47 pm
thanks
Yeah I understand, but as I said I'm not sure it'd be easier to ask here.
[jur] wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:00 pm
that's why I did both:)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:01 am

Yeah don't worry, just trying to help, and hopefully you'll find some interesting answers here.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Jan Dintheer

Post by Jan Dintheer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Jan Dintheer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:14 pm
[jur] wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:01 am
Yeah don't worry, just trying to help, and hopefully you'll find some interesting answers here.
that's very kind :)

xgman

Post by xgman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 pm

It is just another DAW that in the right hands can be used for any sort of musical inspiration imaginable. Just because a lot of people do electronic music on Live or whatever, doesn't mean that you can't set a time signature and record live jazz parts or anything else. Basically think of it as an organizational vehicle for whatever you are working on. There may be better DAWs for straight up live song recording if that is what you have in mind. I also use live to compose. But then I also use Logic for the same thing. In live you work more with parts and regions which you then place in the song. But you can play along and record with the song directly too.

Jan Dintheer

Post by Jan Dintheer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:49 am

xgman wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 pm
It is just another DAW that in the right hands can be used for any sort of musical inspiration imaginable. Just because a lot of people do electronic music on Live or whatever, doesn't mean that you can't set a time signature and record live jazz parts or anything else. Basically think of it as an organizational vehicle for whatever you are working on. There may be better DAWs for straight up live song recording if that is what you have in mind. I also use live to compose. But then I also use Logic for the same thing. In live you work more with parts and regions which you then place in the song. But you can play along and record with the song directly too.
thanks for your answer. I think it basically starts getting interesting when you play live (without click) and then use Ableton Live with its time signature. I mean you would never play some polyrhythmic stuff like what happens here. In genres like electro/nu or acid jazz Live is used for beats. There are also some musicians using Live as an effect board or as a midi instrument. and of course to arrange and compose songs, but I think there are better DAW's and programs for that. So the point is I'm interested in what is coming now. Is there more? And do you know any jazz musicians using Live?

Standalone Complex

Post by Standalone Complex » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:36 am

Try googling Wesseltoft Schwarz Duo. There's an opportunity to find some interviews and videos about their workflow.

Jan Dintheer

Post by Jan Dintheer » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Standalone Complex wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:36 am
Try googling Wesseltoft Schwarz Duo. There's an opportunity to find some interviews and videos about their workflow.
ohh sorry, I totally forgot to answer you. thanks for your help, I already was in contact with Bugge, but I found some interesting interviews. bests:)