I'm curious how many people record full songs?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Dallon426

I'm curious how many people record full songs?

Post by Dallon426 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:31 am

I'm curious how many people record full songs with Ableton. Vocals and all. I'm a longtime cubase user and I'm enjoying Ableton. Workflow is different, in someways less intuitive and in other ways more creative. So, just curious how many people are recording everything in Ableton, or do you export your tracks and then import into a more traditional DAW?

Any short comings that Ableton might have for this?
Thanks

Shift Gorden

Re: I'm curious how many people record full songs?

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri May 31, 2019 4:33 pm

"Full songs" - ha! 96% of all my tracks are unfinished - I have issues, clearly!

Yeah, I do everything in Ableton, mate. I record vocals directly in.

I *tried* using Logic as an experiment, but I could not get that down at all!

I have thought about trying Cubase - I haven't used it for 20 years - but I feel like I have my hands full with Live.

The only Abe shortcomings might be the fact that there's no traditional comping function, but there are some sweet workarounds.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri May 31, 2019 10:48 pm

I don't do much in vocals, use to years ago but mostly it's just soft synths and samples tho if I had vocals i'd love to work with them again.

I use Live for everything but back in the day I used Cubase for vocals but would take the finished takes back to Live again. It was better suited to vocal and takes tracking as has been harped on about forever the lack of Comping features of live, having actual take lanes and a dedicated floating mixer which is easy to use like a proper board and the fact it marries up with a controller like an MCU so well, it's just so easy and fast to get vocals, edits and harmonies all tracked.

Live is far better creatively and suited to people that like to noodle with ideas. I could never get Cubase to work how I wanted and back in the days of Cubase SX the midi routing and learning was horrid so it was a task to just map a control to a plugin. I ended up using Buzz Tracker for a few years before I got into Live.

But these days Live suits everything I want to do, tho that is not much.

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:02 am

I can honestly say the main thing I struggle with in Ableton is the inability to use whatever keyboard shortcuts I desire. For example I use Shift+record to record in cubase and I cannot use that with Ableton. Little workflows for me that make Cubase ideal for me. But I am still learning Ableton. It is fun, but I do find myself using my mouse a lot more than in Cubase. Hopefully those are things that can become sorted out.

obaozai

Post by obaozai » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:17 am

I use both Cubase 10 and Live 10 and they both amazing programs that can do everything but different. Cubase MIDI interface is also awesome. To me it deppends on the idea and how i figure it be easier and more efficient for me. I can prepare MIDI or audio tracks that can be shared from one environment to the other. But in the end, afaik, the best program is the one that can help you do what you want in a way you dont need to re invent the wheel each time. I find editing audio in Cubase easier because im used to that. They both great Softwares; and they both worth learning.