Ableton is lacking some basic concepts

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Dallon426

Ableton is lacking some basic concepts

Post by Dallon426 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 am

Too many crashes has made me switch back to Cubase. It is just a superior program IMO. I love some things about Ableton, but it is more of a pain in the neck to get specific things done. It is clear that it has been more designed to work with Push, which is cool. But some basic functions such as not being able to insert my own key commands is incredibly frustrating.. I spend way too much time using a mouse to get things done, vs just using a keyboard command. Windows are too small, velocity editing in groups is a nightmare and The crashes and backup files from those crashes do not work..... WTF. The program has a nice look and feel, but I think it is not very well thought out in certain areas. For instance, no way to recall vst instruments and effects on a selected track via a key command is just silly. Many things are worthy of a head nod in Ableton. I love the drums and slicer, packs, clips, and all of that. It is fantastic in that department, but it ultimately is inferior to Cubase.

miyaru

Re: Ableton is lacking some basic concepts

Post by miyaru » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 am

Strange....... I used Cubase in all sorts of forms and versions for like 20 yrs. It is a complete different beast, and has other strength.

Live is for some things superior, and Cubase for others......

Many use more than one DAW to have all good things together.

I switched to live, and never looked back, knowing some things are easier in Cubase, others not. If you have both, use both!

Create the tracks you like in live and work further in Cubase for instance! It is not a question of choosing, it is a mindset.

Cheers!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:54 am

I have been exporting via midi and audio. Are you using rewire?

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:31 pm

No I jumped the boat completly, and switched to Live - I do not use Cubase anymore....... For what I am doing, it is no use using two DAW's.......

I have Live 10.1 suite and Push 2 - and that is doing fine for me making kind of EDM.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:09 pm

That is why.. I do not need push nor do I want it. I make all sorts, indie rock, folk, hip-hop and random music. So I use Studio Logic Sl88 and I am happy with that. Like I said Ableton is great if you are a push user. It is much better than Maschine.... Although I did enjoy the hardware and functionality of Maschine, I could not stand the software. It was primitive, to say the least. As a hardware unit though, I really did enjoy Maschine Mk3

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Never worked with Machine, so I cannot say a thing about it. The only NI thing I have is Massive Synth.

Find your path and stick to it!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:55 pm

Dallon426 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 am
Too many crashes has made me switch back to Cubase. It is just a superior program IMO. I love some things about Ableton, but it is more of a pain in the neck to get specific things done. It is clear that it has been more designed to work with Push, which is cool. But some basic functions such as not being able to insert my own key commands is incredibly frustrating.. I spend way too much time using a mouse to get things done, vs just using a keyboard command. Windows are too small, velocity editing in groups is a nightmare and The crashes and backup files from those crashes do not work..... WTF. The program has a nice look and feel, but I think it is not very well thought out in certain areas. For instance, no way to recall vst instruments and effects on a selected track via a key command is just silly. Many things are worthy of a head nod in Ableton. I love the drums and slicer, packs, clips, and all of that. It is fantastic in that department, but it ultimately is inferior to Cubase.
I converted from Sonar years ago. Initially I thought some of these same things. Sonar overall had better key bindings, but Sonar had plenty of workflow issues of it's own and it was buggy.

Drum Racks, Warping, Session View mainly keep me in Ableton.

I kind of got used to not being able to open plugin windows. That said each update Ableton adds subtle workflow improvements that seem to make huge differences. The Session Record button makes it much easier to use a keyboard to record into Session View vs older versions. I think some didn't like this improvement though but IMO it made Session View much quicker and easier.

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:39 am

It is odd to me that a program this popular would be missing some very basic features :?: :?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:46 am

Use a different one then.

Cheers
D

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:49 am

I use both cubase and Ableton

Salud

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:12 pm

If you're using ableton as Cubase, it is likely you are just using the wrong tool for the job. Ableton is designed to be primarily a Live thing....ableton 'Live' and all...it can do everything else, maybe not as slickly or straight forward but it totally holds it own in all other departments. But it is first and foremost a live DAW.

So,do you use it live? Everything you've just critiqued sounds like the answer there is a no. In which case, wrong program for you, so coming and complaining that your hammer doesn't put screws in right is on you, not on the program.....I came to Ableton from Cubase, and I'm also not a push user, and never have been. Not ruling out getting push in the future, but push came after ableton, and ableton was winning awards and super popular long before push. Yes the line between them has been evolved away to an extent but I am more than happy using ableton without push, and far more happy using ableton than cubase.

gbert

Post by gbert » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:43 pm

That may have been true in the past, but Live 10 is marketed today as primarily a music creation tool.

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/what-is-live/

Music creation is mentioned first. And in the detail that follows, the features related to music creation are all listed first. Performance is not mentioned until the very bottom of the page, and it occupies a very small section of the page in comparison.

We can debate whether or not the product is successful at being the best music creation tool. But let’s not point to the product’s name as justification for why it is not actually a music creation tool. It is marketed as one first and foremost, and I agree with Ableton that flexible music creation capability is its core competency.