Hardware Synths - anyone using the Korg R3 or other older synths?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
miyaru

Hardware Synths - anyone using the Korg R3 or other older synths?

Post by miyaru » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:06 pm

After using softsynths for a while now, I rediscovered the fun of programming my aging Korg R3. This morning I made a Moog like patch, and it was a breeze to do thanks to the software editor it has supplied with it.

I have some old stuff left in my studio, and sometimes it's fun to use it. I also have this old Korg N1 synth and a Yamaha groovebox - the famous RM1x. The latter is on the attic now due to space issues on my desk, but it surely is a fun machine.

The R3 from Korg can produce nice sounds, and it's vocoder is really fun to use.

Is any of yoy guys/girls out there using this old stuff to, and yes what kind of synths, drummachines or grooveboxes?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Tarekith

Re: Hardware Synths - anyone using the Korg R3 or other older synths?

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:05 pm

I recently bought a Roland Mc505 again, which was one of my very first bits of musical gear and shaped the way I think about music creation. Fun to revisit something that was so integral to my music making process early on, though I do find it pretty tedious to use compared to today's gear. The GUI is so slow to update when you do things compared to say the TR-8S :)

The R3 is a sweet synth though, a few friends of mine owned those and I was always so jealous.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:14 pm

MC-505 where to expensive for me when they where released, and always found them so fat sounding compared to a RM1x. The RM1x have I bought secondhand in 2001.

The N1 was much needed for my productions round 1999 when I bought it, but it was also very expensive.........

Indeed the R3 is fun!!!!! :mrgreen:
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:18 pm

LOL, old stuff is pretty much all I own!

Korg MS2000R
Korg Electribe ER-1
Novation Bass Station Rack
Yamaha DX7s

I picked up some newer stuff last year, but the bulk of my studio continues to be old stuff, and they continue to get a lot of use. :D
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:25 pm

I owned an RMX1 briefly back in the day too, but I always found it rather confusing to use. Yamaha had a very unique way of organizing their synths and patches back then, my CS2x was the same way. Was it called XM or something?

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Yeah, stood for Extended MIDI or so, very strange started also with PC 00 instead of PC 01 and so........
Greetings from Miyaru.

downfader

Post by downfader » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:07 pm

hardware synths have been an addiction for me since the days of.. well.. hardware. I've always liked them due to licences not running out when buying a new computer etc. They don't take up the DAW cpu processes as much. They often have their own character that softsynths struggle to copy (eg Atmegatron, Meeblip, Microbrute etc). I finally bought an MS2000r (blue, so a later model, but not the last) a couple of years back. I;d lusted over these since they came out.... I'd finally got a decent job and spent some money on this and loved it.