Intel turbo boost

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
oskioka2303

Intel turbo boost

Post by oskioka2303 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi, folks.

I'm looking to buy a new laptop for Ableton, and i have almost landed on a Lenovo with an Intel i7-8565U processor. Only thing is that it has a clock-speed of 1.80GHz, up to 4.60GHz with turbo boost. Considering that it's recommended to have a clock-speed higher than 2.0GHz, would there be any problems with having the turbo boost being responsible for making this possible? Could there be any problems with, for instance, recording live instruments?

Regards,
Oskar

fishmonkey

Re: Intel turbo boost

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:34 pm

recording live instruments doesn't require much processing power. it's complex virtual instruments and effects that are the big CPU users.

with the Turbo Boost, just bear in mind that the boost only applies to a single core, and that Live spreads tracks out across the cores.
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

TLW

Re: Intel turbo boost

Post by TLW » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:25 pm

My MacBook Pro is a 2.2GHz quad core i7. It copes pretty well overall, though I don’t use many software synths I do use a lot of third-party effects, some of which are quite demanding. As it is I have to increase the audio buffer to 256 or 512 samples once I start loading cpu hogs like Wave’s Abbey Road reverbs and sometimes have to freeze a track or so when mixing.

As for the turbo boost, that kicks in as I lower the audio buffer size. It generally sits around the 3+GHz area according to intel’s cpu monitoring tools with a 64 or 128 sample buffer so I assume the boosted core is basically handling the driver side of things.

PCs and Macs aren’t directly comparable based just on cpu speed (or amount of RAM) because of OS and hardware differences, but I wouldn’t expect a single turboing core to compensate for a lack of power in the other cores on any system. Once any core is overloaded dropout issues are likely.

I guess the answer to your question is you won’t know if it works until you try it. Which probably isn’t very helpful. But if, for example, you have the choice between 16GB RAM and a slower cpu or 8GB RAM and a faster cpu I’d personally go with the faster cpu - especially if you can upgrade the RAM later. Lots of RAM is mostly useful if you use big sample libraries such as orchestral ones with lots of articulation which get loaded into RAM.
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.