Ableton files are being saved as Gimp files

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
bobby warren

Ableton files are being saved as Gimp files

Post by bobby warren » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:13 pm

When i try and open a project its saved as a gimp project. when i try and find another program to open my project ableton dosent appear in my computer as a program. Anyone else have this problem?

BURN-ADDiCT

Re: Ableton files are being saved as Gimp files

Post by BURN-ADDiCT » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:10 pm

It might be a problem with file associations. If that's the case, you may as well use The unassociate tool to reset associations with the .als, .alp and .adg extensions.
"working jobs we hate to pay for sh*t we don't need" - Tyler Durden

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:51 pm

Just running the latest Live installer should restore your file assiciations. Your Live preferences should not be affected by this.
bobby warren wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:13 pm
when i try and find another program to open my project ableton dosent appear in my computer as a program.
Live does not install into c:\Program Files but c:\ProgramData, so you need to search there when using the 'open with' context menu in windows explorer.

jacobschaffer

Post by jacobschaffer » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:06 am

Did you ever find a fix? This is happening to me right now!!! It is really confusing

jacobschaffer

Post by jacobschaffer » Tue May 05, 2020 10:46 pm

I fixed this issue! It is as simple as uninstalling Gimp... nothing else seemed to work, I tried a lot.

It is a simple fix as long as you can part with Gimp.

Both Ableton and Gimp, I found out use the .als extension. So the computer must get confused and warp the ableton live set.

spacemanvector32

Post by spacemanvector32 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:39 am

Well this is one of the more annoying things...ever. It's due to Gimp arbitrarily making itself the default program to open .als files (among a host of other files formats it can't read). Pretty stupid considering it can't read .als. Ableton reads als. Nothing else I know of reads .als besides Ableton. I tried uninstalling GIMP, that works...but now you can't use GIMP. Reinstalling GIMP I never get the option again to associate certain files with it...if that option even exists anymore? Turn to Windows 10 to manage this...it can't. Windows just assumes GIMP is doing what it is supposed to, and only offers options from the Windows App store to replace it as default, none of which are Ableton Live....Basically...GIMP are AHOLES for doing this and making it impossible/difficult to change associations it grabs out of greed...that it's can't even open! It's GIMP's fault entirely. Uninstalling and doing photo editing with other. FU GIMP.

ecuk

Post by ecuk » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:58 am

A rather simple web search immediately turned up this site to help you have both GIMP and Live: How to Change File Associations in Windows. There are plenty of other sites which tell you more or less the same steps. This one just showed up at the top of my search.

My presumption is that the .als files that GIMP wants to open are not Ableton Live Sets. They are almost certainly something relevant to a raster-based image processing app such as GIMP, and it is little surprise that it doesn’t know what to do with a Live .als file.
MacBook Pro, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, 2.3GHz i7-1068NG7, 32GB – Live Suite 12.0.1, Max 8.6.2, Push 2, Scarlett 4i4