Which CPU is best for Live 10 - Intel or AMD?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tekhed66

Which CPU is best for Live 10 - Intel or AMD?

Post by Tekhed66 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:04 am

Hi all

My desktop computer is on the way out so I'm looking at replacing it fairly soon.

I was just wondering if there was/is any difference in performance running Live 10 with an Intel processor as compared to using one by AMD? My son who is a computer geek explained how the multicore setup differs between each chip and said to err on the side of caution and go for Intel (he's not a musician and doesn't use Live so he based his guess purely on the chip architecture).

Any help/advice or personal experience would be a great help.

cheers!

miyaru

Re: Which CPU is best for Live 10 - Intel or AMD?

Post by miyaru » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:41 am

Two years ago, I ordered a custum PC - housed in a 19" housing - made for making music. I was tempted by the fact that Ryzens where cheap at that time compared to Intel. After a long thought, I decided to go for Intel, as it seem to be more stable at the time, I think going for AMD is OK, altought they seem to produce more heat, needing more cooling meaning more noise.........

I have choosen then for an i7-7700 Intel quadcore, and am very happy with it.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

zsazsa

Re: Which CPU is best for Live 10 - Intel or AMD?

Post by zsazsa » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 am

Scan audio has some nice blogs on AMD audio performance.
Might be useful to go through it to get an idea about the difference between AMD and Intel.

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07/12 ... ic-number/