Why I never should have sold Ableton

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
F34TH3R

Why I never should have sold Ableton

Post by F34TH3R » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:45 pm

I sold my suite license about three years ago, along with my push. I have since tried Pro tools, Logic and Maschine spending close to 500$ on all of it, Just to find out live was the best all along. Really regretting that decision and i feel terrible now. Any "feel good" comments would be appreciated.
F34TH3R

jestermgee

Re: Why I never should have sold Ableton

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:07 am

F34TH3R wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:45 pm
Any "feel good" comments would be appreciated.
Not really. Can only suggest that’s why I never sell a license for something I have found useful even if I move to something else for a while. Never know when you may go back. It’s like binning old tech. I still wish I had my old Commodore 64, tapes and dataset but at the time I was done with it and sold it all for $15 to a school friend. I now try and keep hold of everything until I cannot find the room anymore.

At least you trialed a few things out tho I wouldn’t have sold my license till I knew I found a solid replacement and even then prob not

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:48 am

I sell and rebuy stuff all the time, it happens. Learn from your mistake and get back to working on music. 8)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:26 am

As long as you didn't erase your old Live songs, nothing is lost.

I've gone back and forth with many DAWs, bought sold and bought Logic, Reason, and Digital Performer. I got Live Suite off someone here for $200 so it makes no sense to ever sell it, it will be a losing proposition to buy it again, and then there's all the partial songs that are fun to data mine I would lose.

My main old school DAW DP10 got Clips and session view type features, but Live is 18 years ahead of it that way, and sometimes I want to just use Live.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:21 am

I have just bought Reason 11 suite, but I will keep my Live 10 suite/Push2!

I think everyting has it purpose, and selling/rebuying is losing money anyway........
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:55 pm

Buy Suite again and you will forget all that other stuff, at least while you have fun with Live.

Maybe even use as a motivation to keep doing stuff in Live to forget about all that.

I would straight uninstall the other stuff, out of sight, out of mind.
♥♥♥

spin369

Post by spin369 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:26 am

I think of it as, anything you do in life somehow serves you in one way or another. So, if you by moving to other daw got you better familiar with Logic, protools etc, that is a great advantage plus (just like happened to me couple years ago. After leaving Logic 9 for Ableton 8 some 10 years ago I started working with an artist that was using Logic X and I had to reuse Logic for that purpose. I ended up Updating with Logic X and using it for few projects. I love and use Ableton Live mostly but each Daw has its limitations and for me being able to use both Ableton Live and sometimes Logic is very valuable. So if you have Logic keep it! And get back to Ableton. If you don't want to spend the Money now on the Suit. Start back with the standard you get plenty there and you can always upgrade again. In the end its not about the regret its about the creation. Good Luck!!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:26 pm

spin369 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:26 am
In the end its not about the regret its about the creation. Good Luck!!
Exactly, I sometimes wish I had just stuck to one DAW, but in the end I realize I like choices.
Bigger picture, I've been paid to teach Logic and Live at various times, oddly enough, mostly when I wasn't using them as my main DAW.