Will my old Computer be enough for LIVE 10? If not, what you suggest?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
B.A.L.D.

Will my old Computer be enough for LIVE 10? If not, what you suggest?

Post by B.A.L.D. » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:51 am

HI Guys,
I'm currently running my Live 10 with few main VST (Kontakt, Pigments and various audio effects, everything else is hardware synths) on my corporate Macbook pro 15'' 2019 model
I use it for both recording and live performance (in the future)

I will be needing very soon to move everything out of it, as it is a corporate laptop :(

My existing computer is an old tower with an i7 860 2.800hz and 8gb RAM.
I'm not sure if this computer is going to run Ableton 10 and my VST smoothly nowadays.
I can overclock it easily at 3600HZ and can think of an upgrade of my ram to 16gb but don't know if that would be enough.
It's an i7 but an old one. Do you have any suggestion or experience?

In case my old PC would not be able to run Live smoothly (And in general it will be a limit for portability for live performance in the future), what do you suggest?
OFC I was looking at the new MB PRO 16'' but it's expensive as hell (2700€). With that money I can buy a Windows Laptop + some racks :D
I've never run live on Windows. I've read several topics here and I see that there are a lot of people using it proficiently.

If you should buy a laptop today, what would you suggest?
I'm not interested in a laptop gaming anymore, so I would rather chose something powerful as CPU as RAM but more portable than a gaming laptop (plus: a laptop gaming is not that far from a MB PRO in pricing)

What's more, my production mate is currently using MAC. Are there any issues in moving projects from MacOS to Windows?

Thanks and cheers

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Will my old Computer be enough for LIVE 10? If not, what you suggest?

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:09 pm

Of course it all depends on what your usual sets look like, but you can still run a lot on this kind of CPU.
I'm still using a 2009 mac pro and a 2011 mbp...
Ableton Forum Moderator

jestermgee

Re: Will my old Computer be enough for LIVE 10? If not, what you suggest?

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:59 pm

Why not download the demo of Live and test it out and see if it runs?

Personally, I have never used Mac and only Windows and it runs just fine (but you need some knowledge of how to optomize windows.

I'm setting up to rebuild a completely new high end system in every way and apart from a GPU which I already have, the whole system is under 3000 australian (2000us) so you can get a lot of PC power for your cash. Mac Pro is really for professional industries and a bit wasted/overpriced on users IMO.