MacBook Pro 16 question

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
DJ the Not So Ordinary

MacBook Pro 16 question

Post by DJ the Not So Ordinary » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:58 am

Hi everyone,

I am considering getting a MacBook Pro 16 but I am wondering how much RAM I should I get as well as whether it is worth it to upgrade the chip.

I use a iMac (2019) with 32GB of RAM and that make Ableton run like a dream, so I am thinking that I would want the same in the laptop. However, I have been reading that the MacBook Pro 16, when is upgraded to 32GB of RAM and the upgraded chip runs super hot and the fans are always on.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions for which MacBook Pro to get and which upgrades you would recommend?

Thanks
DJ

TLW

Re: MacBook Pro 16 question

Post by TLW » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:29 pm

With the current MBP range I’d choose either of the 16” models. Maybe the i7 rather than the i9 because it (might) run a bit cooler For older models I’d pick a Retina screen with i7cpu. A dedicated graphics card isn’t really necessary for a lot of things and will create quite a lot of heat on its own. As many TB/USB sockets as possible and ideally a magsafe power connector. Why Apple have done away with magsafe baffles me - I’ve seen laptops damaged when pulled off tables and desks by someone catching their feet in the cable and magsafe was a brilliant way to prevent that happening.

16GB of RAM is probably enough - my MBP has 16 and never seems to suffer from a lack of RAM and as well as Live it runs Photoshop and Lightroom which can both be memory hogs. The internal SSD really needs to be at least 256GB.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:44 pm

Running 16GB here on the i9 16”, works fine and I never have any issues (including fan noise which some people get).

abluesky

Post by abluesky » Sat May 02, 2020 4:02 pm

I was wondering what your typical session looks like?

I have a stress test live set and I’m barely able to have 16 tracks of wavetable with 3 osc and 8 voice shimmer unison run at 512. At 256 it drops to 7.

Would you be willing to run the stress test to compare?

My 16” is full spec i9 with 2Tb.

LQdb.Music

Post by LQdb.Music » Sat May 02, 2020 4:14 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:44 pm
Running 16GB here on the i9 16”, works fine and I never have any issues (including fan noise which some people get).
Hi glad to hear that there are MBP 16" users out there that doesn't encounter problems with this machine, just to narrow down our problems, can you quickly post what kind of configuration do you use, in terms of GPU memory (4/8 GB version ) external monitor (yes,no,which one, how is it connected), 3rd party accessories (dongles etc.), which soundcard ? Clamshell mode, or open with 2nd screen connected...

That would help a ton, tia :D

PS. It's a great machine for sure, bute these problem makes it unusable.
--
Live 10 w/ Push 2, Logic Pro X, S1 4, MOTU m4, Mac mini i7, Win10 Core i7 9700K/32GB/Asus TB3, KH120, Focal Alpha, this n that

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat May 02, 2020 5:09 pm

No external monitor, so I keep it open all the time. I use a CalDigit TS Pro+ hub to connect the whole studio, including 3 external SSD HDs, my Lynx Hilo DAC, Push 2, plus whatever synths I have connected via USB to it.

It's basically the base model 16" MBP with the 1TB internal HD. This is my daily computer for the mastering business I run, and even using my highest CPU plug ins I don't have the fan issues that others seem to have.
Last edited by Tarekith on Sat May 02, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LQdb.Music

Post by LQdb.Music » Sat May 02, 2020 5:22 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:09 pm
No external monitor, so I keep it open all the time. I use a CalDigit TS Pro+ hub to connect the whole studio, including 3 external SSD HDs, my Lynx Hilo DAC, Push 2, plus whatever synths I have connected via USB to it.

It's basically the base model 16" MBP with the 1TB internal HD. This is my daily computer for the mastering business I run, and even using my highest CPU plug ins I don't have the fan issues that other's seem to have.
Thanks for the quick feedback, so basically we are on the same spec side, also use the 1TB 16" with the base 4GB 5500m AMD GPU, but with an external monitor and a different TB3 dock (Elgato TB Dock) to connect USB-Midi Keyboard, Push2 like you do, but even if I unplug that dock the issues remain.

So I guess most of the time you are working on that internal intel GPU, which safes a lot of temp already. With an external Monitor connected, the dedicated GPU is activated by default and Live jumps on that trail aswell.

Thanks again for your infos.
--
Live 10 w/ Push 2, Logic Pro X, S1 4, MOTU m4, Mac mini i7, Win10 Core i7 9700K/32GB/Asus TB3, KH120, Focal Alpha, this n that