New Macbook Air (2020)

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
birdhouse19

New Macbook Air (2020)

Post by birdhouse19 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:19 pm

I noticed Mac just released their new Macbook Air like a week ago. Curious what people's opinion is with using a Macbook Air with Ableton? I know using a Macbook Pro would be the better choice and I have a iMac to do most of my production work with. They really beefed up what can go in the new MacBook air with their 16GB Ram and 2TB HD options. That is the main advertisement that has got my eye in interest. The processor is still a bit small and not as upgraded as a Macbook Pro. They offer a 1.2GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz (upgrade). My projects usually range from 30-40 tracks maybe using a combination of 10-15 (VST & 3rd Party plugins combined, max). Would you guys think this would be too CPU heavy for the CPU and experience delays/errors? This wouldn't be my primary means of production but a place to get some ideas flowing and on the go productions with collaborators. Just seeing what you guys think?

- Thank You!

jlgrimes

Re: New Macbook Air (2020)

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:09 pm

birdhouse19 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:19 pm
I noticed Mac just released their new Macbook Air like a week ago. Curious what people's opinion is with using a Macbook Air with Ableton? I know using a Macbook Pro would be the better choice and I have a iMac to do most of my production work with. They really beefed up what can go in the new MacBook air with their 16GB Ram and 2TB HD options. That is the main advertisement that has got my eye in interest. The processor is still a bit small and not as upgraded as a Macbook Pro. They offer a 1.2GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz (upgrade). My projects usually range from 30-40 tracks maybe using a combination of 10-15 (VST & 3rd Party plugins combined, max). Would you guys think this would be too CPU heavy for the CPU and experience delays/errors? This wouldn't be my primary means of production but a place to get some ideas flowing and on the go productions with collaborators. Just seeing what you guys think?

- Thank You!

I guess as long as it isnt your main box.

I would definitely max the processor though 1.2 hz is a bit low.

I had a 2014 mba. It had a very weak processor but otherwise a good computer.

I made tracks on it and some VSTS hardly would play but most older VSTS worked okay.

Tuur

Re: New Macbook Air (2020)

Post by Tuur » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:15 pm