Logic update looks dope

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Rolo Tomasi

Logic update looks dope

Post by Rolo Tomasi » Tue May 12, 2020 11:26 pm

This looks sick AF and the live loops are very Ableton-esque.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/05/ ... gic-pro-x/

pottering

Re: Logic update looks dope

Post by pottering » Tue May 12, 2020 11:57 pm

Well, it is no accident the closer a DAW copies Ableton Live, the best that DAW becomes.

Not surprised Logic users are raving about features Live introduced years (or decades) ago.
♥♥♥

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed May 13, 2020 2:24 am

This "Quick Sampler" looks very familiar too 🤔
Ableton Forum Moderator

Rolo Tomasi

Post by Rolo Tomasi » Wed May 13, 2020 4:00 am

Looks like Apple has gone all in with the EDM music production market

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Wed May 13, 2020 7:46 am

That ancient (EXS) GUI needed / needs a fix too.

Rolo Tomasi

Post by Rolo Tomasi » Wed May 13, 2020 6:53 pm

[jur] wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:24 am

Just out of curiosity why did this thread get moved to the Lounge?

I posted it in music production and it clearly says "discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Nekz

Post by Nekz » Fri May 15, 2020 2:15 pm

I love Live, but the devs at Apple made an impressive update. As consumers this is good, the competition is getting interesting.
Ableton now is your turn, what new interesting stuff do you have us prepared for Live 11?

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat May 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Whatever they have prepped for Live 11 should not be revealed before Live 11 is released, otherwise Apple/Emagic/Bitwig/MOTU/etc. will copy those, maybe even rushing incomplete versions to claim they invented it first.
♥♥♥

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Sun May 17, 2020 11:59 am

Hi There,

I've been using Live since version 2, and have flipped between wonderment and frustration (mainly due to crashing). I moved to using Logic as my main DAW several years ago (has never crashed) and much preferred the mixing environment (especially the 'drummer' plug-in and swipe comping functionality - both of which are awesome for me as a guitarist). However, I typicaly came back to Live to put ideas together for my more electronic music and then exported to Logic for mix down (maybe Luna soon, but that's another story :)

The Logic 10.5 update is superb. It does the whole Live 'clip' functionality and more. I love the Bitwig style clips and arranger page on the screen at once. The new Samplers are brilliant (and yes they are similar to simpler and Sampler). The pattern create mode is a joy and provides unbelievable flexibility.

And... It's free!!!!

Push2 will likely keep me somewhat tied to Live for now, but if someone can come up with a script to run Push in Logic with good functionality, I think I'll be - somewhat sadly - off.
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun May 17, 2020 2:50 pm

Live hasn't innovated in a long long time.
It's added stuff like a new synth, or groups in groups, or a new page for automation.
But if we look at the competition Live looks very outdated and like they are struggling to keep up on the innovative interaction. It seems like Live are in that doldrums phase which large companies hit. Consolidation rather than innovation.

It's easy to catch a large immobile object.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Sun May 17, 2020 5:25 pm

Live hasn't innovated in a long long time
I think part of the issue is that Live was so innovative and such a game changer when it came out (or at least a few versions in when it effectively became a full DAW), that major innovation was probably quite difficult. However, I get the impression that they are pretty welded to the original concepts, so as other DAW's have majorly improved, Live feels less so. Possibly the integration with Push being the major standout.

Obviously the Logic update has just been released, so time will tell, but I have just watched several hours of a Groove3 tutorial and there really is some fantastic additions and improvements in this update. The iPad can be used as a controller/clip/scene launcher, which is cool. But not as cool as Push :) It has been mapped to the Novation Launchpad though, so sort of half way there!

I think Apple have done what they do best, which is to take someone else's idea/concept and make it work extremely well (more often better than the original).
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue May 19, 2020 1:07 am

Rolo Tomasi wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:53 pm
[jur] wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:24 am

Just out of curiosity why did this thread get moved to the Lounge?

I posted it in music production and it clearly says "discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
You're right, and just to make it clear I didn't move the topic to hide a discussion about a "competitor". I for example am extremely interested in this kind of topics.
I moved the thread because we're supposed to re-organize the sub forums a little bit and the main forum would be about Live related topics only. Obviously this isn't done yet, but I try to move things with this in my mind. I hope it makes sense now.

How many of you do you use Logic regularly? And why do you launch Logic vs Live on a given day? Different tasks? Different moods? Pure randomness?
Ableton Forum Moderator

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue May 19, 2020 4:16 pm

wildcon wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:59 am
Hi There,

I've been using Live since version 2, and have flipped between wonderment and frustration (mainly due to crashing). I moved to using Logic as my main DAW several years ago (has never crashed) and much preferred the mixing environment (especially the 'drummer' plug-in and swipe comping functionality - both of which are awesome for me as a guitarist). However, I typicaly came back to Live to put ideas together for my more electronic music and then exported to Logic for mix down (maybe Luna soon, but that's another story :)

The Logic 10.5 update is superb. It does the whole Live 'clip' functionality and more. I love the Bitwig style clips and arranger page on the screen at once. The new Samplers are brilliant (and yes they are similar to simpler and Sampler). The pattern create mode is a joy and provides unbelievable flexibility.

And... It's free!!!!

Push2 will likely keep me somewhat tied to Live for now, but if someone can come up with a script to run Push in Logic with good functionality, I think I'll be - somewhat sadly - off.
Very similar here, even down to Push 2 and wishing for a script etc too use it in Logic. For me a few things are still missing in Live that are super annoying yet somehow beyond being the most basic functionalities. Of course Logic has its own funkiness and doesn't bring some of the flexibility of Live, but Live needs to keep brushing up its workhorse features as well as the creative flexibility. It just feels odd to be so invested in one DAW only to then feel like opening another to complete various basic tasks more comfortably.

jpallarest

Post by jpallarest » Wed May 20, 2020 6:43 pm

The Logic Pro X 10.5 is amazing. But, I personally can't wait to see what Ableton could bring for a Live 10.5 update. Even a 10.2.

Could Ableton bring something as big and meaningful? Live, as awesome as it already is, is still lacking in some areas so there's plenty of room.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Thu May 21, 2020 12:19 am

Let's hope so....for me 'amazing' would be like getting a knife and fork for Xmas but I'd settle for that.
Just random internet person opinion but it feels like Logic got it the right way round - refine and nail the basics, then add the bells and whistles. Live came out the gate as a literal game changer like the crazy savant DAW cousin that's grown and grown but still hasn't mastered a couple of very basic tasks so you can't leave it alone in the house.