Ableton is amazing. Do I have the rights to what I've created.

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
ZenMusic

Ableton is amazing. Do I have the rights to what I've created.

Post by ZenMusic » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:09 am

I'm learning Ableton Live 10 Suite. I have spent weeks learning and have just scratched the surface.
This weekend I'm exploring the library of sounds and all the packs (that came with it).

Today , I'm amazed, pleased and blown away by all I'm discovering. Ableton is amazing.

In the last hour or two I've created two songs that are the simplest result of playing the various kits with my midi keyboard.
I have strung together sequences of many voices , tracks and didn't write anything original, just playing the keys to play the sounds in the order I find pleasing. (some of the Drum kits have a measure of singing for a note, I string them together and made a song.)

Now (the songs may be uninteresting to anyone else) but my question is?

Do I have the rights to the song I created? Simply by improvising on the keyboard with the kit selected? Anyone could have done the same with little effort though I really like one song enough to play it for others.

or is it expected that I use these sounds as a placeholder and I have to replace them with my own versions? I only intended these for learning .. but really like the one.

thanks, fun day for me

((TO CLARIFY: every sound is either part of Ableton Live Suite 10 or my own creation on my hardware synths))
Last edited by ZenMusic on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Re: Ableton is amazing. Do I have the rights to what I've created.

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:50 am

Yep, they are free to use as you choose, as long as you're not trying to repackage and sell the sounds as your own. Enjoy!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:01 am

Sometimes this is all it takes to make a track that ends up really taking off. So yeah, have at it.

But also keep in mind that now with a lot of algorithms on YouTube etc, they explicitly ask you if you’ve used any presets they might be widely available. The thing is, even though the sounds are free to use in your compositions, others may have used the same sounds and algorithms might associate your usage with their song and think the song you created belongs to that artist.

To be honest, I don’t know the absolute details on this. But it is something to take into consideration. Personally, I wish this type of thing wasn’t so automated and difficult to challenge. People shouldn’t feel so restricted in their creativity for the tools that really work for them and inspire them.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:32 am

ZenMusic wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:09 am
I'm learning Ableton Live 10 Suite. I have spent weeks learning and have just scratched the surface.
This weekend I'm exploring the library of sounds and all the packs (that came with it).

Today , I'm amazed, pleased and blown away by all I'm discovering. Ableton is amazing.

In the last hour or two I've created two songs that are the simplest result of playing the various kits with my midi keyboard.
I have strung together sequences of many voices , tracks and didn't write anything original, just playing the keys to play the sounds in the order I find pleasing. (some of the Drum kits have a measure of singing for a note, I string them together and made a song.)

Now (the songs may be uninteresting to anyone else) but my question is?

Do I have the rights to the song I created? Simply by improvising on the keyboard with the kit selected? Anyone could have done the same with little effort though I really like one song enough to play it for others.

or is it expected that I use these sounds as a placeholder and I have to replace them with my own versions? I only intended these for learning .. but really like the one.

thanks, fun day for me
Congratulations on making a track you like.

You should be fine as long as you aren't using samples either from already recorded songs or unlicensed samples.

Any factory libraries or packs you paid for, you should be licensed to use for compositions.

Worst case scenario usually is other folks might also be using those same presets/loops but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

ZenMusic

Post by ZenMusic » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:27 am

thanks for the replies. I'm only using the Ableton Suite and it's sounds or sounds I've created on my hardware synthesizers.