Joining the Ableton (Live) Dev Team

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
M4RS

Joining the Ableton (Live) Dev Team

Post by M4RS » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:53 am

Hi guys,
I've been using Live for a long time. In 2 years I'm gonna have a bachelors in Computer Science (development and project management) and being on the Ableton dev team is just as big a dream for me as my music career. I think I should be learning C++ (I heard somewhere that's what Ableton is written in) but I was wondering if anyone had ANY input as to what I should be doing to get on the team. Maybe some people at Ableton that I should talk to (if someone has an email that would be amazing, I'm considering sending in a perspective application but I'm not sure if sending in a list of questions on what I should do instead of a cover letter would be welcomed there), concepts in C++ I should focus on, should I learn assembler, maybe some resources that would help me get some more knowledge on the development of Live. Thank you so much for any input this seems like an awesome forum and I'm excited to be a part of it.

-M4RS

doghouse

Re: Joining the Ableton (Live) Dev Team

Post by doghouse » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:10 pm

2 years in and you haven't done any C++ yet? What do they teach people nowadays? :?

I actually had to learn Fortran and PL-1 (both dead languages these days) as an undergrad in the 1970s, C was around but not yet ubiquitous and C++ was still a few years down the road. Spent the last three decades working with nothing but C, C++, Perl, Python and lately Ruby.

Get yourself some C++ books and a development environment and get cracking :wink:

Assembler is not needed for anything that's running on an OS. I used to do assembler and even raw machine code years ago when coding for early processors (8049, 8051, Z80, etc.).