Help me search for an iMac

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
BleepsAndBlips

Help me search for an iMac

Post by BleepsAndBlips » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Ive decided that I need a standalone computer for making music. I currently have an OK gaming/family PC with a 2 screen setup, one for gaming and one for me at the battlestation. The problem is that the kids are getting older and need to use the PC for homework and the inevitable gaming session with friends because of corona and Im finding myself not getting ideas down when they come to me.

My current setup is pretty small, Digitakt+Digitone, Xenyx mixer and a Keystep, I dont make huge 128 track behemoths with 30 VST's, more like 20 odd tracks absolute max.

An iMac will fit nicely where the 2nd screen sits but Ive been out of the Mac loop for about 6 years so I need a few pointers and any advice from current users.

I'm running Live 10, budget is max £400 and I'm more than aware of what I can get for a £400 PC to do the same job.

There's a few iMacs around in budget but they're then non user upgradeable ones with a max of 8GB RAM.

Is anyone using one from 2011-2014 with Live 10? Any issues to look out for?

Thanks
Minilogue XD, Digitakt, 10 Live Lite

dylandigits

Re: Help me search for an iMac

Post by dylandigits » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:27 pm

FWIW with that budget, and the fact that you already have a second display, have you considered a mac mini instead? a mac mini could offer a more recent option with better specs. aim for better RAM and speed; supplement with an external drive to make up for shortcomings in hard drive space.

MotiMo

Re: Help me search for an iMac

Post by MotiMo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:13 pm

BleepsAndBlips wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:27 pm
Ive decided that I need a standalone computer for making music. I currently have an OK gaming/family PC with a 2 screen setup, one for gaming and one for me at the battlestation. The problem is that the kids are getting older and need to use the PC for homework and the inevitable gaming session with friends because of corona and Im finding myself not getting ideas down when they come to me.

My current setup is pretty small, Digitakt+Digitone, Xenyx mixer and a Keystep, I dont make huge 128 track behemoths with 30 VST's, more like 20 odd tracks absolute max.

An iMac will fit nicely where the 2nd screen sits but Ive been out of the Mac loop for about 6 years so I need a few pointers and any advice from current users.

I'm running Live 10, budget is max £400 and I'm more than aware of what I can get for a £400 PC to do the same job.

There's a few iMacs around in budget but they're then non user upgradeable ones with a max of 8GB RAM.

Is anyone using one from 2011-2014 with Live 10? Any issues to look out for?

Thanks
I've been running a 2011 iMac for years, Live 10 runs alright on it but sadly anything from this year is not going to be able to be updated farther than High Sierra which will eventually be an issue IMO.

Also be aware that 2011 machines do not have Metal installed (graphics) so Mojave, Catalina, Waves V12 and anything else that relies on Metal for display/graphics will not work, and that is a standard that will probably be kept for a while so make sure you get a machine with Metal ...https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073