Splice for project backups 2020

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
baseinstinct

Splice for project backups 2020

Post by baseinstinct » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:26 am

I have been using mega for that, with 50 gigs and seamless operation. Still, if splice works well, I would gladly use mega for backing up audiobooks.

What are your experiences with Splice cloud for backing up Ableton projects? Are there any catches or problems at all?

I would not be buying anything from them for now, so if they have a hidden agenda for such members, be good to know in advance.

JonnyMac78

Re: Splice for project backups 2020

Post by JonnyMac78 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:06 pm

I’ve been using it, it seems pretty useful. I rarely need to access it, but I feel safe knowing that every time I save my project it’s being backed up automatically.

guitar346

Post by guitar346 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:51 am

JonnyMac78 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:06 pm
I’ve been using it, it seems pretty useful. I rarely need to access it, but I feel safe knowing that every time I save my project it’s being backed up automatically.
So use save projects to your Splice folder? Have any problems with that? I hear it's not best practice to do that.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -Practices

"Whenever possible, disable cloud synchronization before opening Ableton Live."

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:23 pm

No experience with Splice but it's best practice to not have project files in automated cloud sync folder locations (icloud, dropbox, google drive etc) or at the least, disable cloud sync while working just because sometimes it can start uploading a file while you are working and lock the file which can cause some issues when saving or even when trying to make changes. Had issues with dropbox years ago doing this.

Backups are important tho, any solution that can duplicate your data to another location is fine. Personally I have a server which uses a simple batch file and "robocopy" to sync my data from all my computers to a server drive every 10 minutes as long as the files are not in use and have changed since last sync. Then I use BackBlaze to backup the server to cloud as an extra step.