I made Live pay for its own upgrade (a disgusting humble brag!)

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Angstrom

I made Live pay for its own upgrade (a disgusting humble brag!)

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:42 pm

I was 50/50 about upgrading to L11 for various reasons.
I had a thought ... what if I could make Live pay for itself. I have a bunch of presets and I decided if I could raise the money during the Black Friday window I'd buy the upgrade, if not ... then not.

So a couple of days ago I put my operator preset pack on sale at £4.49 and thought ... if I can get enough cash from that sale to pay for the upgrade (£143) then I'll let Live pay for my Live.

Amazingly somehow the sales smashed that target, so I just bought the L11 upgrade solely with proceeds from content for the app itself.

I know nobody else cares, but I think it's kinda weirdly cool that creating content for the app paid for the app itself. A circle of GAS.

I will now stop patting myself on my back and pull my trousers up. This concludes my ted talk.

Tarekith

Re: I made Live pay for its own upgrade (a disgusting humble brag!)

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:44 pm

We care, good job!
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:55 pm

Thanks dude!

Of course - having saved that money I felt completely justified in using the other money which I hadn't spent to buy a Sensel morph and a few overlays. I mean, what's the point in having an MPE capable DAW without an MPE controller eh?

financial prudence in action.

tapshead.jpeg

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:28 pm

Great work. It is amazing sometimes how you can generate a bit of income these days and gets you thinking...

One of the great things about the internet is it's a worldwide market and open 24/7 and in this day and age, presets are like mining for gold for some people. Through various ventures i've managed to not have to "go to work" for 5 years now and instead seeking contract work I can do online remotely (like forum support, website management etc) along with selling my own NKS libraries etc. Never going to be a millionaire, but i'm no longer stressed and exhausted all the time, I don't lose 12 hours a week of my life in traffic and I am more than happy to work at 10pm if I feel like it. As long as it helps to cover our mortgage and keep my kids fed and healthy, i'm content.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:07 am

Nice job! 🥳

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:15 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:28 pm
Great work. It is amazing sometimes how you can generate a bit of income these days and gets you thinking...

Yes, your work life sounds like mine. I guess this is modern life.
Now, if only I could ramp it up a bit so that it covers more than my essentials !

vishesh.l

Post by vishesh.l » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:25 am

this is awesome man. 👍👍👍

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:33 am

Well done, hard work deserves reward!!!! :D
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:14 pm

Why on Earth are you of all people not alpha/beta testing and getting your upgrades through that? Jeez, you'd probably even only need to ask Amo and he'd probably sort you out for being a camper, still here holding the bar up after two decades!! 8O Know your worth old boy! :!:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:48 pm

Forge. wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:14 pm
Why on Earth are you of all people not alpha/beta testing and getting your upgrades through that? Jeez, you'd probably even only need to ask Amo and he'd probably sort you out for being a camper, still here holding the bar up after two decades!! 8O Know your worth old boy! :!:
Perhaps I'm too much trouble? :lol:

Ableton has grown and matured significantly since the Camper days and I am an old man, my knees are dim and my eyes are bent. I'm not sure I'm the target market. I need to be at least 30 years sexier.

I'm not really in the Alpha testing system any more. I never signed up to become Ableton Certified as I don't teach, and I don't run one of those cool YT tutorial channels.

Probably more importantly : I really really pushed my objections to the browser's shortcomings during the A9 alphas and kinda ruled myself out of the process because there no avenues (back then) to actually add UX impressions, only to submit error/crash reports. I found that unrewarding and frustrating. I don't think Ableton really need my opinions, as they are a bit "too strong" and I am just overflowing with them. :wink:

Mods feel free to delete this if it's too "inside baseball" (as the Americans say)

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun May 02, 2021 2:48 pm

Well I figure the fact that I came back after all this time and you're still here, part of the woodwork, and actually keen enough to pay for an update, looking much much like the same old Angstrom. It's done through the Centercode system, and there's a board I'm pretty sure you can post/attach images. A lot of the old names are in there.

But just being part of it and using the alpha/beta, and just doing what you do, I can't see how your mere presence could not be valuable.

Honestly, I was just surprised to see you forking out after literally two decades of the level of 'above-and-beyond' input you can't help but neurotically share. :wink: