The official day the fun died!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: The official day the fun died!

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:23 am

IMO, and of course I mean that, I don't expect any of you to understand or agree, it was better as a free for all. It showed a great respect for just what different type of humans artists are, and how most of the time the forum could self moderate, total tyrants and anti social personality types could be self moderated out by the group. The most egregious were forcibly removed of course.
It's a white wash now, we're not going to a show or to a club, we're going to work here. This is fundamentally the difference, everyone agrees to behave at work, we all tone it down, no talk of the big subjects that shape our world anymore, no religion, politics, sex, philosophy, nothing of any substance, except technical details about Live. Beyond the beat and melody, music is about humans and humans are messy. Plus I agreed with the sentiment stated about the forums, Germany had been through two types of totalitarian regimes, and censorship is always the last resort.

I 100% get that Ableton must've constantly received flack for allowing it, and I admired them immensely for letting it go on for as long as it did, but I have to say, the change soured me a bit. Live has steadily increased to Suite being $750, one of the most expensive DAWs. It's more complicated than when I bought it with no Suite option, for sure, but it was around $300 then. The marketing is focused now, it's all upscale home studios, everyone in the ads looks like they work in IT, which is undoubtably a huge portion of their audience, but it's not me. I have no interest in building a modular synth in Max, the idea of having to code my own SysEx catcher in Max sounds as much fun as pulling teeth out of my mouth with pliers. The direction is towards millennials with code jobs who like the UX and if they need to can code the more complex parts in Max.

That said, Live 11 looks great, I'm holding off for the sale, and hopefully a more stable external audio sync implementation. I get it, but I'm pouring Milwaukees Best Ice, dropping some suspect looking baggie onto the grave of the more "bad part of town" forums that lived in this house.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:14 am

“Raises a $10 super rare 16oz hazy IPA i waited in line for 3 hours for in solidarity of your opinion”.

Oh wait…. :D

(for the record I actually don’t like hazy IPAs and was actually drinking a Kolsch).
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:34 am

Tarekith wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:14 am
“Raises a $10 super rare 16oz hazy IPA i waited in line for 3 hours for in solidarity of your opinion”.

Oh wait…. :D

(for the record I actually don’t like hazy IPAs and was actually drinking a Kolsch).
:lol:

There was a hazy Hefeweizen I liked OK back in the day but it needed a lemon for sure!
Best Hefeweizen IMO was Spaten.

For the record when I did drink, I would start off with a couple quality beers, then switch to the cheap high octane stuff after my taste buds were dead, because who cares at that point. :twisted:

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun May 08, 2022 6:23 pm

Forge. wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:09 pm

And I’ve missed this emoji 8O 8O 8O

[old man yelling at cloud/]
ha ha ... nearly a year later I just typed that same thing exactly in another thread

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun May 08, 2022 10:11 pm

I just posted this in totally the wrong thread, but I was happy to see Paddy after all these years.

Everyone here should get on Endlesss (endlesss.fm) by Tim Exile, the genius mad scientist behind The Finger, The Mouth etc. through NI. It's my new haunt, got me inspired about musicking again. They solved the problem of proper online jamming. Probably like me you'd all be tempted to start off just tinkering with it in solo mode and say "yeah this is pretty cool" then take ages before you finally get around to actually jamming with someone else, but when you do it's a light bulb moment, and a game changer.

I'm Alef on there - I've had an upgrade - and my avatar is a cyberman smoking a ciggie.

They are about where Abe was when we all first started, so there's a lot of that same vibe, and there's a kind of buzz building. The online collab thing was the last piece of the puzzle, and they are the first to properly crack it IMO.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:42 pm

i've not really posted much on this forum over the last few years at all, sometimes i come on and post something on the link your music bit or the local bit, but i just kind of filtered away from it really. i don't actually know why.
i used to enjoy some of the arguments that happened back about 10 or more years ago. it was also a valuable source of knowledge and learning for sure. and i met some interesting people in real life from it as well. it's strange as i still use ableton a hell of a lot, so maybe i should make more of an effort to engage with the forum?
even though i've barely looked at the forum much in the last five years or so, in comparison to how much i used to go on it, i still just noticed quite a lot of names here that i recognise, which is nice.
maybe i should spend a bit less time on tiktok, FB and IG and a bit more time on here? The tapeheads forum is the only other one i go on really, and that's not much

:x - i've missed this emoticon as well.

cheers

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:04 am

slatepipe wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:42 pm
i've not really posted much on this forum over the last few years at all, sometimes i come on and post something on the link your music bit or the local bit, but i just kind of filtered away from it really. i don't actually know why.
i used to enjoy some of the arguments that happened back about 10 or more years ago. it was also a valuable source of knowledge and learning for sure. and i met some interesting people in real life from it as well. it's strange as i still use ableton a hell of a lot, so maybe i should make more of an effort to engage with the forum?
even though i've barely looked at the forum much in the last five years or so, in comparison to how much i used to go on it, i still just noticed quite a lot of names here that i recognise, which is nice.
maybe i should spend a bit less time on tiktok, FB and IG and a bit more time on here? The tapeheads forum is the only other one i go on really, and that's not much

:x - i've missed this emoticon as well.

cheers
Hey mate, long time no see!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:49 pm

slatepipe wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:42 pm
maybe i should spend a bit less time on tiktok, FB and IG and a bit more time on here?
Definitely!
Ableton Forum Moderator