Planning Purchases

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
The_Subject

Planning Purchases

Post by The_Subject » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:56 pm

Hi!

I feel like I have wasted a lot of money in my life - as a young drummer I was definitely guilty of the "buy more drums and you'll be a better drummer" fallacy - but since then, I buy gear and it's often not quite what I want it to be or think it is.

Is it that I don't do my research? Well, I try to, but maybe I don't know enough to know what knowledge I am missing?

Is it because I try to misuse gear? Maybe, but the gear I want doesn't seem to exist, and if I don't try to stretch things to their limits, where's the fun?

What I'd really like is a virtual music shop where you can "plug in" your set up, and see it all working, it would ask spec details etc of your gear, or at least find them in its database! And then you could try out different set ups before putting a load of money down!

So I bought the MPC One a little while ago, mostly as an interface between my eDrums and ableton, in the studio, and then after sampling in the studio, a portable unit for the eDrums when going live.
So far, I'm getting over some annoying features that don't seem to add up but I want my set up:
Live:
EDrums - Drumbrain - MPC - Master Out
Studio:
EDrums - Drumbrain - MPC - (PC - DAW - VST - Out) - MPC - Master Out/Headphones/Record.

£600ish spent on it, I'd read loads on it etc, clearly says you can record internally, "resample L + R" as its called for stereo recordings of not a specific external input, and yet, I CANNOT record from the USB - through MPC - sound out, seemingly. Posted on the MPC forum, no one replies, its the worst forum I've ever been on for replies!

Anyway, I'm not expecting any help on the MPC issue, more just ranting/wishing for this virtual testing ground/I guess; how do other people do it? Is it just that I need to learn more or are people often finding they buy gear that doesn't quite operate as expected?