USB HUB RECOMMENDATINOS

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
jtwm

USB HUB RECOMMENDATINOS

Post by jtwm » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:18 am

hey there,

any recco's on USB hubs for Macbook Pro M1?
currently on USB C so need something that will allow USB 3.0 -> USB C

and also not be flimsy with power, when i'm plugging in my monitor, harddrive, interface, phone + keyboard

BEST
JJ

jestermgee

Re: USB HUB RECOMMENDATINOS

Post by jestermgee » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 am

I use this one (Australia):
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-8-1- ... pace-grey/

Tho I purchased it at half price, works perfectly, has power passthrough, aluminum, have not tried the HDMI output but has no issues connecting anything USB2/3 I have wanted.

I did also have a very similar ebay one but it caused some strange issues. mac is so fragile with everything you connect it seems. I have a dozen different hubs that all work fine on PC but no chance on Mac. It's a PITA TBH.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:34 pm

CalDigit TS3+

One thunderbolt cable to the laptop for data and power, and the hub has a bunch of different ports including USB-C and USB3. Works great, no issues at all, very tidy looking with only a single cable on the desk.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:20 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:34 pm
CalDigit TS3+

One thunderbolt cable to the laptop for data and power, and the hub has a bunch of different ports including USB-C and USB3. Works great, no issues at all, very tidy looking with only a single cable on the desk.
Whoah, $260au for a usb hub. Seems insane to me but I guess if you have the money and nothing better to spend it on... Mine was $45 bucks.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:17 pm

It does more than USB hub stuff: display port, SD card reader, ADAT I/O, pass through charging, HDMI, etc. For me it's worth it as I can connect everything in the studio and charge/power my laptop, with only one cable.
Tarekith

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:17 am

Yeah the one I have does 4KHDMI, power pass through via USBC, SD card reader, hardwired gigabit LAN port, 3 x standard USB.... $42 when I purchased it. I guess depends on the features one needs. I have no need for ADAT for instance, just needed a way to connect a standard USB mouse, DJ controller, Arduinos etc and have more than one spare measly IO when connected to power (macbook "pro" are a bit of a joke for pro use in this regard TBH) and it had to be low profile and portable to fit in a bag as I don't use it for production in my studio, it's more of a dev/portable system. So from my standpoint spending $200+ literally to provide a few IO ports that should really be included just isn't worth it but I also don't specifically make a million from my work using it either and have to weigh up how many weeks of lunches that would buy my kids.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:52 am

I have no kids, that probably helps. :)
Tarekith

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:49 am

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:52 am
I have no kids, that probably helps. :)
Certainly would. I work from home doing a lot of computer based stuffery for income. My main computer system is close to 12 years old now but well maintained, upgraded overclocked (just to squeeze those last few useful years out)... PC of course as that kind of stuff isn't for macs and it works well but I am needing a new high end build to keep pace and my dilemma at the moment is between investing in a new $3k build to do my work or investing in $16K for dental/braces for my 2 kids for the next 4 years, forgetting about my own teeth falling apart with every passing year.

My fault for having kids and now I understand why my parents were always depressed and fighting, always hard to have to constantly weigh up every financial decision and when 25 year old me would just buy it if I felt I needed it enough and live off noodles for 3 weeks to cover the cost, now I have to spend a week looking over the globe for the best price and hope using the cheaper option works well enough because I can't ask my kids to live off toast for a month even if I need something for my work, it takes a lot of planning to invest in some things. Solace is i'm surrounded by so many in the same boat and I consider myself well off compared to so many others I see, certainly not complaining, at least I own a house and everything in it and am not in debt apart from a mortgage.

Still, in my world (and not to throw guilt or anything, just how it is) the difference in $200 for basically the same thing is the difference between having healthy sandwiches and fruit for my kids for lunch or having a bread stick (not exactly but as a general point). I'll always take the cheap option if it works and give my kids the better option if I can.

Sorry, completely OT, can just sympathise that even if people can afford the insane costs of a mac, doesn't always mean they have money to burn and could have taken them 6 years tro even save that money to start with. Hard to ever understand without travelling the same road.