Healthy Competition, or Conflict of Interest?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
iancrewe

Healthy Competition, or Conflict of Interest?

Post by iancrewe » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Hey everyone, I could really use some advice here:

I collaborate with two recording studios doing an exchange of services, and recently started doing something similar with a third. This third partnership was the most promising by far, because it potentially allowed me to work directly with the software and equipment most recording studios used, which would greatly improve my chances of landing a paid job in the future. However, the owner recently contacted me and said we wouldn’t be able to work with each other any more, as my collaboration with the other studios constitutes a conflict of interest.

No money is changing hands at the other studios - I am helping them with blog writing and website design, in return for learning the equipment and related studio expertise. The third studio was offering a possible paid position in the future, but it's for a voice-recording project unrelated to music production. If we did work together on this project, they are asking me to sign a non-competition clause.

I believe (or want to believe, because the alternative has me feeling constantly in a state of fear and lack) that there is enough business for everyone, and my working for multiple companies, even ones technically competing with each other, shouldn’t hurt either company. But now I’m worried that this mentality is actually holding me back. At the same time, I don’t want to abandon working with the two studios I already collaborate with, for the one which seems most concerned with others taking their business.

Basically it comes down to whether I should stick to my beliefs on principle going forward, or be willing to bend when opportunity presents itself.

What do y'all think?

jestermgee

Re: Healthy Competition, or Conflict of Interest?

Post by jestermgee » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:04 am

I guess it depends if you are working within these companies or as an external contractor. It is not uncommon for companies to seek people that are not directly working for competition and it has nothing to do with having enough work to go around really, more about the fact that you would be learning how a company functions, what their processes are, their equipment and most importantly, their existing customer base. A company would not want someone having all that insight and then trundling off to another 2 companies and using your new found knowledge to help bolster the other companies.

You may have no interest to do anything but from a company perspective they have to protect that side and many companies will require you to enter both a Non Disclosure agreement and a Non Competition agreement which means you cannot take on work from any competition anyway.

Best thing would be to open a dialog with the 3rd studio and simply state you are trying to gain your entry experience with these companies and would certainly be open to offering your full dedication for a paid position, but as you are working free and just getting to know the ropes you can't give up your other interests without an offer of acceptance.... or something like that.

If you are capable in what you do and you believe they really would benefit with you being on board, try and push for that paid roll. At the end of the day, that is what you are really wanting I assume and while the experience you are getting is nice, managing forums and websites is something I also do and while I type on this forum for free for fun and engagement, I get paid decently to do work for companies which everyone should. Know your worth and how to market that, if they are not interested then their loss.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:22 am

Well said.

Plus, if you're not interested in doing the voice recording work long term, it would be a shame to lose access to other gigs that ARE more what you are looking to do.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

iancrewe

Post by iancrewe » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:07 am

jestermgee wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:04 am
I guess it depends if you are working within these companies or as an external contractor. It is not uncommon for companies to seek people that are not directly working for competition and it has nothing to do with having enough work to go around really, more about the fact that you would be learning how a company functions, what their processes are, their equipment and most importantly, their existing customer base. A company would not want someone having all that insight and then trundling off to another 2 companies and using your new found knowledge to help bolster the other companies.

You may have no interest to do anything but from a company perspective they have to protect that side and many companies will require you to enter both a Non Disclosure agreement and a Non Competition agreement which means you cannot take on work from any competition anyway.

Best thing would be to open a dialog with the 3rd studio and simply state you are trying to gain your entry experience with these companies and would certainly be open to offering your full dedication for a paid position, but as you are working free and just getting to know the ropes you can't give up your other interests without an offer of acceptance.... or something like that.

If you are capable in what you do and you believe they really would benefit with you being on board, try and push for that paid roll. At the end of the day, that is what you are really wanting I assume and while the experience you are getting is nice, managing forums and websites is something I also do and while I type on this forum for free for fun and engagement, I get paid decently to do work for companies which everyone should. Know your worth and how to market that, if they are not interested then their loss.
Fair enough, and thanks for the lengthy response. I can see how some studios might be suspicious of newcomers stealing their business and/or related info.

I like your thoughts on reopening a dialog. My main concern here is, even if I land a paid job, which depends on whether they get the contract, it would only be for a few hours a week. Unless there's a LOT of extra training related to music production they are willing to provide, I definitely don't like the idea of being locked out of working with any other studios when I won't be making nearly enough money with this one to support myself.

I guess it would depend on whether the non-competition is in reference to audio recording tech companies (which is more of a side hustle for this guy, and contains the possible paid position I mentioned) or for recording studios in general. I've responded and asked about this, but haven't heard back for a few days. Perhaps it's time for a follow up.

iancrewe

Post by iancrewe » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:08 am

Tarekith wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:22 am
Well said.

Plus, if you're not interested in doing the voice recording work long term, it would be a shame to lose access to other gigs that ARE more what you are looking to do.
Exactly!