Ableton Live Suite 11 on Linux

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
potatozq

Ableton Live Suite 11 on Linux

Post by potatozq » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:50 pm

Hey all!

I am trying to run Live Suite 11 on Manjaro Linux through WINE.

I have been searching through the forums and wiki/manuals, and I can't seem to find what packages are required to get it to run properly.

At the moment it will install and run, however it does not pull up the actual Live screen, it just runs in the background using up 45% of my CPU. I'm assuming that I am missing some windows dependencies that I need.

I guess what I am asking is: What are the required Windows runtime/.dll files for Ableton Live? What packages does Windows use in order to get it to run?

Sorry for the off the wall question, but I figured I would ask here before checking the Arch Linux forums, since someone her might now which dependencies are required.

Thanks in advance!

mbugert

Re: Ableton Live Suite 11 on Linux

Post by mbugert » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:57 pm

Hey there,

not the same setup, but I just managed to make Live 10.1.42 work on Linux Mint. I'm sharing my steps with you and the world, maybe it helps. This was on a Lenovo T420 running Linux Mint 20.2 with 5.4.0-91-generic kernel.

My steps:
  1. Install latest stable branch wine from winehq (right now, winehq-stable 6.0.2)
  2. Run `winecfg`. In the applications tab, set Windows version to Windows 7.
  3. Install winetricks (`apt install winetricks`), then use it to install extra libraries by running `winetricks vcrun2017 quicktime72 quartz`
  4. Install Live `wine msiexec /i ~/Downloads/Setup.msi`
  5. Make sure to start Live from the commandline via `wine ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/Ableton/Live\ 10\ Suite/Program/Ableton\ Live\ 10\ suite.exe` to see any warnings/errors that pop up.
  6. In my case, there was a warning `ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated` which was fixed by installing winbind: `apt install winbind`. Also, it crashed with `GLXBadFBConfig`. Setting the environment variable `MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5` fixed the issue for me, see https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=135317#p135317.
  7. Live should start now. Online authorization never worked for me in WINE [1], so follow the offline authorization instructions. I did it the conservative way (no drag & drop) by copying the auz file to `~/.wine/drive_c` and starting Live via `MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5 wine ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/Ableton/Live\ 10\ Suite/Program/Ableton\ Live\ 10\ suite.exe "C:\Authorize_0123-4567-.auz"`
Not all of these steps may be required (for example, the winetricks libraries are a mixture of what people reported on the internet to get Live going in WINE). Most importantly, I did not try this approach with Live 11.

[1] I spent several evenings trying to get Live 8.4.2 or Live 9.7.7 to run on the same machine. Whenever I did the offline authorization, it would tell me that authorization succeeded, then immediately after it would switch back to disabling saving and exporting. In Live 10, offline authorization "just worked".
Also, if one goes overboard with installing Live in too many WINE prefixes, it will refuse to authorize at some point because one has maxed out on one's number of authorizations. I contacted support over it, they were friendly and gave me an extension.

potatozq

Post by potatozq » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:28 pm

I was also able to get it working! Just took quite some time....

I wrote a guide on how to do it if anyone needs it

Hi all, just a quick guide on how to get Live 11 installed on Linux (I believe this also works for 10, however have not tested in several months). Links down below to some helpful info. I have not been able to use live since swapping to Linux about a year ago, but today was able to get it working and wanted to share! Hopefully this helps someone out!

This requires heavy terminal use to not take hours, going through the gui requires hundreds of clicks and is not recommended

Step 1:

Install winetricks and wine if you do not have them already. If you are not sure what your Distribution is based on, just look up "(your distro name) based on" in google and you will find it!

Arch Based Distro-

sudo pacman -S wine winetricks

Debian or Ubuntu Based Distro-

sudo apt-get install wine winetricks

Step 2:

Set up wine environment for ableton live. Run both of these commands

mkdir wine

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/wine/ableton winetricks d3dx9 d9vk dotnet35 dotnet452 dxvk gdiplusvcrun2019 corefonts tahoma

Step 3:

Change wine environment to Windows 10 by running this command

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/wine/ableton winetricks

After running, a prompt pops up

Select "Select the default wineprefix"

Select "Run winecfg"

Under "Applications" tab, select Windows 10 under the Windows version at the bottom

Step 4:

Download ableton live installer if you do not have it already and extract all 3 installation files and move into the drive_c folder under ~/wine/ableton/drive_c

Step 5:

Run installer and go through process as normal by running this command, not clicking on the installer icon

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/wine/ableton wine ~/wine/ableton/drive_c/"Ableton Live 11 Suite Installer.exe"

Step 6:

Activate live offline by grabbing the hardware code and downloading the activation file, then dragging it onto live, and voila, ableton is ready to go!

Helpful links-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI09QLkqZiE - guide I used to get live to work, huge thanks to CTT

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ve-Offline - how to authorize offline

(quick side-note, some of those packages may not be necessary, like the dxvk, but those are the ones that I installed and was able to get it to work. also this is my first guide on anything linux related so if I missed something please let me know!)

rexhex

Post by rexhex » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:42 am

I used potatozq's method and it worked for ableton 10. The installer file ableton pushed to me was a .msi though which required a modification.

step 5: $ WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/wine/ableton wine msiexec /i ~/wine/ableton/drive_c/Setup.msi

After that I had to do this: $ WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/wine/ableton wine ~/wine/ableton/drive_c/ProgramData/Ableton/"Live 10 Suite"/Program/"Ableton Live 10 Suite.exe"

I based that off of this information:
https://superuser.com/questions/1531972 ... -with-wine

Additionally when you press cancel in step 3 at the end of the steps listed by the previous post it should save the windows 10 setting. I went in and double checked so I recommend that verification as well but it seems there is no way to just "finish" that process.