Buying a 4K monitor - compatibility with Live?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
CancerRidden

Re: Buying a 4K monitor - compatibility with Live?

Post by CancerRidden » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:21 pm

i have a 4k 28" monitor. 28" is the largest i would go with 4k.

the larger you go, the more blurry it gets. 4k is just a marketing term they use to specify the resolution.

at "4k" resolution and at 28" it is just below what you get on a Retina Macbook Pro. The number youre looking for is ppi, pixel dots per inch.

If youve never used a macbook or imac, you might be able to get away with a low ppi but once you get used to how clear an apple is you wont want to go back.

Don't use the "4k" specs, look up the PPI.

Terrorbeat

Post by Terrorbeat » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:22 pm

last email wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:11 am
Terrorbeat wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:26 am
Just watch it if you're using built in Intel GPUs.. The Mac actually upscales the display signal to 5K in this case and then scales it down to 2K (4K down to 2K is an uneven scale factor so it upscales it). My poor Mac mini had some hiccups with the MacOS GUI in general running at 'looks like 2K'. I bought an eGPU last month and threw the RX570 from my Mac Pro in it and that took care of that problem and actually knocked about 20% off the CPU meter in my Live projects on top of it..
I don't have a dedicated GPU. My pc has a Ryzen 7 pro 5750ge with a built in Radeon graphics. Jumping to a 28" or 27" 4K monitor, and using Windows 10 upscaling to 150%, am I risking to jump in any issues?
If you're a Windows user, I dont think so. I work for one of the big monitor manufacturers so I see a lot of different configurations running like that and haven't heard any complaints from customers on that side. Plus your machine has an integrated Radeon which will blow away an Intel 630. On the Mac, at least my Mini, the Intel graphics steal memory from the system on top of not being the most robust graphics chip in the world. When it comes to scaling, the CPU hit depends on the resolution. 4K evenly scales down to 1080p, but not 2K. 5K on the other hand scales down evenly to 2K, so the Mac bumps up the video signal before scaling it down. If I were to use my 4K monitor at 1080p, the graphics are still pretty smooth and fluid, but 1080p is 1080p hehe. If you want it to run nice and smooth with the internal graphics, you've got to pony up and pay $$$$$ for LG's 5K display (if they still make it?). I think you'll be fine though, that Radeon should keep it nice and smooth.

last email

Post by last email » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:58 am

Shift Gorden wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:47 pm
last email - my monitor is actually a 42" Sony Bravia, mate. I sit about a foot away from it.
Holy cow !!! 42inches, one foot distance?! In other words 30cm away from it !!! How you manage to focus in this giant screen? I'm 75cm away from my 24" monitor and I'm really sceptical if I should move on a 27" or 28" 4K monitor.
Users here convinced me that I'll not have problems in windows (tiny icons, letters) when upscaling, but sincirelly jumping in a 27-28inch monitor I'm afraid that my head will behave like a typewriter.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:12 pm

last email wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:58 am
I'm 75cm away from my 24" monitor and I'm really sceptical if I should move on a 27" or 28" 4K monitor.
IMO a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor is a good combo at that distance...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:38 pm

last email wrote:
I'm afraid that my head will behave like a typewriter.
Some old typewriters produce very cool sounds though. :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:28 pm

last email wrote:
Shift Gorden wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:47 pm
last email - my monitor is actually a 42" Sony Bravia, mate. I sit about a foot away from it.
Holy cow !!! 42inches, one foot distance?! In other words 30cm away from it !!! How you manage to focus in this giant screen? I'm 75cm away from my 24" monitor and I'm really sceptical if I should move on a 27" or 28" 4K monitor.
Users here convinced me that I'll not have problems in windows (tiny icons, letters) when upscaling, but sincirelly jumping in a 27-28inch monitor I'm afraid that my head will behave like a typewriter.
LOL. In all fairness, I might have exaggerated a little! I could be up to 2 ft away! But, you do bring up a good point - looking at stuff on the top of the screen can be a pain (literally).

I downloaded an app for Mac (not sure if it's available for Windows) called Moom. It's window management thing -it allows for really fast resizing and organizing of windows, which totally helps me keep things away from typewriter mode.