using an external ssd

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
kebabman

using an external ssd

Post by kebabman » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:02 pm

Hi there

I have the 9 suite installed on a 2013 mbp running High Sierra with 8 gig RAM and a 500 gig internal SSD. I also have the Izotope production suite and Arturia's V collection of symths.

I am running out of room and now only have a bout 20 gig left.

I liooked into upgrading the internal SSD on the mbp to 1 or 2 TB but for a 2013 model it's prohibitably expensive: £300 for a 2 TB SSD.

I have now found an external SSD which is 525 gig which I'm planning on using instead.

Is it a good ideat to have the macos, Live 9, the V collection and Izotope stuff installed on the 500 gig internal SD? this will use around 100 gig I think. Is it sensible to then store project files (lots of renders and collect all and save stuff) onto the 525 gig external SSD? Where should I put samples that I use in my projects? On the internal?

Do I then use collect all and save the projects to the external? Provided I do thiis correctly, will these projects then locate the samples which are on the internal SSD? Is this a sensible way of doing things? I like the idea of having all the project files on an external as then I can buy another external when I fill this one?

Should the samples also be on the external?

Many thanks in advance.
If I'm not there I'll cut my hair...

subparuser

Re: using an external ssd

Post by subparuser » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:28 pm

It doesn't particularly matter where you put stuff, but you really need to free up some space on that internal SSD ASAP before it shits the bed.

Depending on how it's been overprovsioned (extra capacity, not visible or available to the user), you're likely pushing it toward failure much faster than if you kept ~20% free space.

kebabman

Post by kebabman » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:25 am

Thanks for this - good to hear that it doesn't essentially matter where stuff goes.

Yes I learnt with another mbp that you need to turn the internet off otherwise all kinds of problems of sets not loading as HDs maxed out etc. Is at least 20% free always a good rule to apply?

Cheers

subparuser

Post by subparuser » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:23 pm

kebabman wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:25 am
Thanks for this - good to hear that it doesn't essentially matter where stuff goes.

Yes I learnt with another mbp that you need to turn the internet off otherwise all kinds of problems of sets not loading as HDs maxed out etc. Is at least 20% free always a good rule to apply?

Cheers
Well, when I say it doesn't really matter where you put stuff, it depends on whether any sample-based instruments stream from disc or pre-load samples to RAM and if the external drive (and interface) is quick enough to keep up (if streamed), but these days it's not too concerning if using SSD.

I'd say the ~20% thing is a decent rule of thumb, not set in stone, and if you can manage more that's all to the good. Gives TRIM and any other wear-levelling space to work with beyond the meagre over-provisioning capacity.

kebabman

Post by kebabman » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:16 pm

Thanks for this - sounds like I should be okay. I think I'll have enough room on the internal SSD for synth patches and justuse the external for saving live sets.