Song Fade Out

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
MHZ18

Song Fade Out

Post by MHZ18 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:38 pm

Can someone please help. It seems like a very simple query but not one that any YouTube video addresses. I've finished recording the song. All I want to do is fade out the song ending. Not just a track or two but the whole song. I thought I would be able to mix the song to one single master track but can't see how either. Any suggestions please?

Angstrom

Re: Song Fade Out

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:49 pm

You can automate the master volume fader, though what I usually do is plonk a Utility on that master channel and fade that.

MHZ18

Post by MHZ18 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:02 pm

Thanks very much. Will give it a go. Appreciate your help.

MHZ18

Post by MHZ18 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:13 pm

Not having much luck here. Trying again....How do I create a single Master track which I can send my recorded tracks to after mixing. Then I will need to fade out the ending of the song which I'm not sure how to do. Any help available?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:07 pm

look to the very right of the Session view / mixer view. that's the master track

go to arrangement view and look at the bottom of the track view, that's also the master track, it is titled "master". All tracks go through this master track to the main outs (unless you re-routed them from the default setting)

In Arrangement view press A

look at the automation lanes. They should be visible.

If the master track is not showing an automation lane with a dropdown labelled for "Volume" , click the little arrow to open automation on Master track when the automation lane is visible, the default automation visible for Master is "Volume".

click on the Volume automation line, make dots. make the furthest right dot be at the bottom

you just made a fade out

MHZ18

Post by MHZ18 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:27 pm

Thanks very much. Really appreciate your help and the detailed explanation. Thanks. I will have a look again. I have been recording on a BOSS Digital Studio for years and the switch to a DAW has been very different and a steep learning curve. Thanks again.