Bug or Feature? can not route Audio FROM a frozen track

Dexes

Bug or Feature? can not route Audio FROM a frozen track

Post by Dexes » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:31 pm

I understand the concept of not being able to freeze a track that receives audio from another track as changing the track sending the audio should, but would not, change the sound of the (receiving) frozen track (though I would prefer an option to freeze all tracks that are routed together at once).

But in this case it's the other way round.
Track 1 has battery 3 vsti on it and is frozen
Track 2 contains a pad and I'd like to sidechain a compressor on this track to the drums.

But if I select the battery track as sidechain input source for the compressor I get the message "A frozen track forbids this routing"

Is this a bug? Or is it meant to work this way? Couldn't the frozen track be handled like any audio track? The receiving track would stay as midi track and could still adjust to any changes made on the sending tracks mixer settings (though I have the sidechain set to Post FX anyway)

8.2.2b1 / win7 64bit

Dexes

Re: Bug or Feature? can not route Audio FROM a frozen track

Post by Dexes » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:37 pm

OK done a little more testing:

If I select the frozen track as input for an audio track the default setting for the lower box is post mixer an this works. If I want to change it to post FX I get the error message.
With the compressor, the default setting after selecting the track is post FX, giving the error message and changing the track input selector back to no input and not even giving me the chance to select post mixer.

Unfreezing the track, setting the compressor to post mixer and then re-freezing the track works.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:13 pm

Hello,

I have to investigate, but so far I see no technical reason why you couldn't access the routing "post FX" (which means pre-mixer too) from a frozen track. "Pre-fx" wouldn't be possible as the devices are frozen together with the clips, but tapping the signal after the devices should be possible.

I'll look into that, thanks.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:56 am

Amaury wrote:I see no technical reason why you couldn't access the routing "post FX" (which means pre-mixer too) from a frozen track. "Pre-fx" wouldn't be possible as the devices are frozen together with the clips
Yeah, that's how I was expecting it should work. It seem reproducible 100% with all effects that allow a 2nd input (Auto Filter, Compressor, Gate, Vocoder) and the input selector of any audio tracks. The same also happens in 8.2.1 (don't have any older versions installed, so I can't check further back).

Rec settings: wav 44.1 / 24bit, Hi-Q on by Default
Audio Interface: Echo Audiofire 4 (running with it's own ASIO driver) or onboard IDT Audio Chip (running ASIO4All)
Connected Controllers: UMX25, Remoter Zero SL, Launchpad
Selected but currently not Connected Controllers: BCF 2000, BCR 2000
I also have the Clyphex remote script installed, but only in the 8.2.2 beta, so that wouldn't explain it happening with 8.2.1

Emerah

Post by Emerah » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:08 am

Amaury wrote:Hello,

I'll look into that, thanks.

Kind regards,
Amaury

still looking? what did you find Amaury?
it never ends. neither does it begin where you think it does. its only in your mind.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi,

The issue is clear, but I can't yet tell when we would be able to fix it. It's nothing new, but thanks for reporting it!

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team