IK Multimedia + Ableton Live = Crashfest..

The Philosopher King

Re: IK Multimedia + Ableton Live = Crashfest..

Post by The Philosopher King » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:39 pm

That's a very interesting idea Nokatus (jbridge). Thanks for sharing.

Bunky Freaks

Post by Bunky Freaks » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:42 pm

a short heads-up: the t-racks plugins have just been updated to v3.5 - including "Improved reliability when used with Ableton Live". can anyone with problems with ikm t-racks plugins confirm better stability?

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:42 pm

TBH - I place this largely at the doorstep of IK multimedia - quite simply their plugins have a history of being buggy.

Also I notice that Some voxengo plugins seems to trigger the same latency compensation issues that IK stuff seems to trigger.

Ableton and IK and Voxengo need to get their heads together to resolve this things - whoever the issue ultimately sits with.
Nothing to see here - move along!

billvb

Post by billvb » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:33 pm

I switched from PC to Mac this year and it's been mostly a great experience, but the crashes with IK Multimedia plugins have gotten so bad I can hardly use them in Live. I have gotten to really appreciate Live's great crash recovery though, and at least I rarely lose work, just a lot of frustration and time lost. Are IK plugs unstable in other DAWs? Any experience to report? I'm going to try a test of recreating a solidly repeatable crashing situation with Sonik Synth 2 in the latest versions of Nuendo, Pro Tools and Reaper this weekend and see if they all have the same problem. I'll post what I find out.

banned

Post by banned » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:50 pm

IK Multimedia stuff is probably even buggier than Live.

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Until the problem is fixed, consider VE Pro. http://youtu.be/eTHFLHosD-Y
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

CloudClod

Post by CloudClod » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:39 am

For Anyone who is having trouble, this works for me just fine. I run Mac Lion.

Use the AU version of Sampletank 2.x and save your settings as a preset. Just before mixdown, replace the AU with the VST version, it should be stable enough to do a mixdown.

The VST version sounds better on my computer, I'm not sure why. Maybe this will help you. :)

Mike

GC719

Post by GC719 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:02 am

WOW!!!! Just when I thought I have had enough of this crashing when trying to use IK products from the total workstation 2 bundle, CloudClod helps come up with a solution that worked for me. However, I only used part of the advice because I didn't know what the rest referred to as I am new to the product.

I am running mac lion on the mid2012 retina. The solution for me was as simple as this: Use the IK multimedia Audio Units NOT the VST versions. Doing this eliminated the crashes I would receive spontaneously AND when trying to record, replace, or delete the track. I have only been playing with this for 10 minutes but that alone is a 99% improvement, I was ready to fight for my money back. See if this works for you.

Can someone help me understand why this might be and the difference between AU and VST why would one be preferred over another? I have other AU versions (native instruments, rob papen) however their VST counterparts work just fine so I never dabbled with them. Thanks in advance

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 am

probably at least 95% of the code would be the same between the AU and VST versions.

which makes it even more annoying that they can't seem to track it down - if the problem is in the small amount of code that is different for AU and VST but also common to both PC and Mac.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:00 pm

crumhorn wrote:probably at least 95% of the code would be the same between the AU and VST versions.

which makes it even more annoying that they can't seem to track it down - if the problem is in the small amount of code that is different for AU and VST but also common to both PC and Mac.
Apple doesn't make life for developers easy. AU's feature regularly in Chris Randall's nightmares. He's one of the developers of Audio Damage who also runs the Analog Industries blog where you'll find regular rants about Apple's changes to the format.
It is a needless format, it started becoming messy and if it were to evolve differently from VST's, there would be more format exclusive plugins. Let it die. I'll miss Automat, but thats about it.

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:17 pm

I have all of the IK stuff and the only IK plug in that gives me crashes with Live is Amplitube and that is only when I move folders that contain the dll if that helps anyone. I usually have to reinstall Amplitube and then the problem goes away. T Racks in Live has been very stable for me but I have only owned Live and the IK stuff for a few months. I use them in Live daily though.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.