Samples search (missing media) is very slow

Khazul

Samples search (missing media) is very slow

Post by Khazul » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:05 am

Observed in current beta, but same in previous versions too.

There needs to be a much better algorhythm for this. It takes 15 minutes to scan for something in my library that even an average bit of .net code should be able to find by name, or size + some other information from file content in little more than seconds, or minute at most in even the huge sample library hat I have in the ableton library.

Have to wonder what the search is actually doing (crc on every single file and comparing them or something equally crazy?)
Nothing to see here - move along!

banned

Re: Samples search (missing media) is very slow

Post by banned » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:38 pm

Probably it is sending copies of those samples to all copyright collecting societies for comparison against their catalogs to check for possible infringements, along with your personal data and geolocation of course. ;)

steko

Post by steko » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:49 pm

Is a normal search in the browser slow too (fast here)? If so, quit Live and trash the index-caches.

PC I dunno - on OS X: /Users/you/Library/Caches/Ableton/Index/ - then rescan Library & other used locations.

Afaik for "missing media" it also has to compare checksums.
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:10 pm

do you have any network drives mapped?

had some crashing/slowdown issues while attempting to search for missing files in the past while i had my network storage drive mapped to a drive letter.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:45 am

ii've been going through a folder now for 5 samples for 30 minutes so far and it still haven't found it.
i think i could probably find it faster manually without searching for it even, or even searching with windows native search on an non-indexed drive.

zzz..

Post by 102455 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:34 pm

One of the improvements in Live 9 is the search speed of the browser.

I've asked Ableton some questions relating to the new browser but as yet they've not replied.

It's amazing that it's taken 9 versions to make it usable though!

maaz-eke

Post by maaz-eke » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:52 pm

cotdagoo wrote:do you have any network drives mapped?

had some crashing/slowdown issues while attempting to search for missing files in the past while i had my network storage drive mapped to a drive letter.
:roll: I have one SSD but using Live's native search is pain anyway (8
friend_kami wrote:ii've been going through a folder now for 5 samples for 30 minutes so far and it still haven't found it.
i think i could probably find it faster manually without searching for it even, or even searching with windows native search on an non-indexed drive.

zzz..
agree manual searching if you know that files is presented on hard-drive somewhere and know name is a lot faster way

Ableton's search engine's worst action IMO still is: telling that it found ONE candidate for every audio-sample but I must replace one-by-one manually and it's no possible way 'auto' at all...