Lion & live. Am i the only one with crazy latency issues?

aberen

Lion & live. Am i the only one with crazy latency issues?

Post by aberen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:00 am

So i'm working on a live set these days. And when i started out i noticed that there is most definitely something wrong here. I'm warping some standard 4/4 songs at 175 bpm and 2-3 songs in i start to notice that there is a really noticable lag between the metronome and the output from each clip.

If you look at this picture, you can see the problem that i'm having. i have to warp my clips off beat to make them sync with the metronome (And the driver error compensation feature does absolutely nothing to try and fix the issue) Now, my computer has been acting up lately with just HD video and in general weird issues. So i might just be due for a clean harddrive and try again to see if this fixes the issue.

Anyone else been affected by this?

tomfoolery

Re: Lion & live. Am i the only one with crazy latency issues?

Post by tomfoolery » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:18 am

aberen wrote:So i'm working on a live set these days. And when i started out i noticed that there is most definitely something wrong here. I'm warping some standard 4/4 songs at 175 bpm and 2-3 songs in i start to notice that there is a really noticable lag between the metronome and the output from each clip.

If you look at this picture, you can see the problem that i'm having. i have to warp my clips off beat to make them sync with the metronome (And the driver error compensation feature does absolutely nothing to try and fix the issue) Now, my computer has been acting up lately with just HD video and in general weird issues. So i might just be due for a clean harddrive and try again to see if this fixes the issue.

Anyone else been affected by this?
I just logged in to check the same issue. At 130bpm I am almost an entire beat behind the metronome. However I am currently not adjusting for such. It seems to be keeping time amongst it's parts. Just all behind. Seems the stuff I record in sows in in proper timing.
http://myspace.com/djtomfoolery
macbook pro 2.4 intel 2 duo, 4 gig ram, motu 828mkii

aberen

Post by aberen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:51 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
I just logged in to check the same issue. At 130bpm I am almost an entire beat behind the metronome. However I am currently not adjusting for such. It seems to be keeping time amongst it's parts. Just all behind. Seems the stuff I record in sows in in proper timing.
Yeah that's what i figured. If it's all 1/4 behind. then it's gonna sync up anyway in the end. Warping the tracks however is a bitch.

What kind of computer are you on? I'm on a 2010 MBP.
At first i thought this was part of the reason for the issue - http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/ ... daches.ars since i have that exact model.

Thanks for the confirmation good sir!

cids

Post by cids » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Which version of Live are you using? What's the latency in your preferences?
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

aberen

Post by aberen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:40 pm

cids wrote:Which version of Live are you using? What's the latency in your preferences?
I can't remember what i was using before. But updated to the new beta to see if it would fix the issue. No dice though.
I haven't tried with an external sound card yet. Maybe i should try that.
Input latency 12.3 ms.
Output latency 12.7 ms.

cids

Post by cids » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Sorry, I mean the buffer size in Ableton... try experimenting with different values (128 samples for example) to see if that makes andy difference...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

aberen

Post by aberen » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:25 am

cids wrote:Sorry, I mean the buffer size in Ableton... try experimenting with different values (128 samples for example) to see if that makes andy difference...
I already tried that, no dice though. External audio interface did not help either.
However, i backed up all of my projects and formatted my MBP yesterday. Live now runs like a dream again.

I think Lion seriously screwed something up when i upgraded.
Last edited by aberen on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DPMachine

Post by DPMachine » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Yeah, people have been experiencing problems when upgrading as opposed to doing a fresh install.

aberen

Post by aberen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:52 pm

So guess what. After 2 weeks or so of live running perfectly fine. The issue seems to have shown is dreary head again.

Sigh. And i have a live gig coming up. Guess i'm going back to Snow Leopard for a while.

samuraitheta

Post by samuraitheta » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm having the same problem. I am getting crazy latency between plugins like Maschine and Live. Plus I can't do any live looping. Nothing syncs up!!!!

AmroK

Post by AmroK » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:46 am

Same here !
A lot of latency and "cracles" problemes .
( i use Live since the version 1 and it is the first time that i see a strange probleme like that )

I think that apple have change something about coreaudio ...
Probleme in live 8:
- i have "cracles" and "clacs"wich appear sometimes
- The latency display in live ( preferences ) is sometime OK and sometime totaly wrong ...
- During a seesion ( where i play VST instrument throug Live ) i have short "sound off" and the latency change by itself .

I test with 3 audio syteme and i have the same problem :
- AF4 Echo audio
- Motu ultralight MK3
- Internal Audio Card ( macbookpro Core2duo )

Ableton team , please do something about that , it is URGENT !!!

Best regards
Christophe