64 bit Native Support - Ableton Unable To?

enomusic

64 bit Native Support - Ableton Unable To?

Post by enomusic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Hello fellow Abletonians!

Is 64 bit Native Support ever going to happen? With the release of Live version 8.2.5 which features OSX 10.7 Lion compatibility you would expect 64 bit Native Support inside Ableton Live, as this new operating system from Apple works best with applications that support 64 bit natively. Ableton Live is ahead of the game in many aspects when compared to other DAWs; but unfortunately seems to continue to fail to deliver 64 bit native support. This is a huge disadvantage for those of us who spent thousands of dollars in robust computers for audio production (Ex. MacPro) as these systems support up to 64gb of ram memory... Ableton Live is unable to utilize anything over 4gb of ram memory of the entire system memory, so if you have anything over 4gb of ram and use Ableton Live you just wasted A LOT of money on memory and hardware. Is Ableton Live unable to deliver this very essencial feature to their software? Honestly, I feel let down in a major way by Ableton with it comes to this... Common' guys!!!!! You guys are ahead of the game for the most part but seriously need to get it together and implement this very needed feature that would allow your customers to take full advantage of their very expensive hardware systems as well as improve user experience as this would improve the overall performance of your software under heavy use of plug-ins in midi & audio tracks. You very well know this... I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here...

Sincerely,

ChadThomas

Re: 64 bit Native Support - Ableton Unable To?

Post by ChadThomas » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:37 pm

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Ableton doesn't like my setup at all. As soon as I get into a creative groove, I click something I shouldn't have, and Ableton crashes. At this point I've started using Logic Pro. I held out for a long time, but I'm tired of being disappointed. I can barely keep Ableton running long enough to Rewire my projects into Logic Pro. The main problem is that Ableton is running in 32 bit. Every mac user knows when an high performance app (like a DAW) runs in 32 bit, it never really works right. Ableton, it's been too long. At least make an announcement that 64 bit is in the works. Otherwise, more people like me will move on to other DAW's.
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
-- Albert Einstein

2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 MacBook Pro 4 GB RAM, MOTU 828MKII

Vors

Post by Vors » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm getting at least one crash every hour, sometimes more. "Out of memory" mainly. 32bit addressing just doesn't cut it any more.

+1

dokx

Post by dokx » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:58 am

enomusic wrote: I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here...

Sincerely,
Either you wait till its ready (and I am sure its coming) - or just switch DAW and get happy elsewhere.

Do you think the Abletons don't know what to do? Seriously...

errorspending

Post by errorspending » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:31 pm

I know these guys know it's important...they've got to be planning on getting it out soon. I too experience out of memory crashes all the time.

Maybe we will get it for Christmas???????? I would be in heaven...might even buy max for live

loydb

Post by loydb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:27 pm

After more than a year of hoping, I gave up and bought Cubase 6. When I have to click on the 'loading this may destabilize your system" dialog six times loading an Ableton project, it's no longer tolerable. :( I'm sitting here staring at my Launchpad and MPD32 considering dumping them on Craigslist.
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

cirquel

Post by cirquel » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:51 pm

As much as I think ableton live is a great daw ( my favourite ) I need to know a date for a 64bit version soon, or shall uninstall it and purchase another such as cubase.I am sure that if I have gone to the trouble to register an account to express this, a lot of other users must feel like this re no 64bit version.
8O

dokx

Post by dokx » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:51 am

Either you wait till its ready (and I am sure its coming) - or just switch DAW and get happy elsewhere.

Again and again and again...

cirquel

Post by cirquel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:18 pm

dokx wrote:Either you wait till its ready (and I am sure its coming) - or just switch DAW and get happy elsewhere.

Again and again and again...
yes because many people have 64 bit already and many other daws are already 64 bit, why are you so defensive of live? we are simply giving feedback, btw I have installed a new DAW for now at least

I am sure the new version is likely ready but is being withheld until it can have maximum advertisement/ promo at an industry gathering etc to maximise sales, it just may be that a lot of existing customers will be lost to the company in the wait

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:43 pm

No, I think it has to do with Zplane's pitch shifting engine not been available in 64-bit mode until Oct 12 this year (2011.)

madlab

Post by madlab » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:34 pm

cirquel wrote:
dokx wrote: I am sure the new version is likely ready but is being withheld until it can have maximum advertisement/ promo at an industry gathering etc to maximise sales, it just may be that a lot of existing customers will be lost to the company in the wait
Maybe abletonians work for the CIA or come from another planet and there's a plot to invade Earth... :lol:
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

psyfi

Post by psyfi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Pro tools 10........Also not 64bit and these threads appear on their forum to. You would think someone would make an official statement about what and when we can maybe expect something rather than leaving it up to loyal users to endlessly speculate.

Cid K

Post by Cid K » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:50 pm

+ 1 for 64bit Support

cirquel

Post by cirquel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:35 pm

madlab wrote:
cirquel wrote:
dokx wrote: I am sure the new version is likely ready but is being withheld until it can have maximum advertisement/ promo at an industry gathering etc to maximise sales, it just may be that a lot of existing customers will be lost to the company in the wait
Maybe abletonians work for the CIA or come from another planet and there's a plot to invade Earth... :lol:
:roll: it is ready and waiting for maximum exposure at an industry gathering nothing to do with what you are joking about just maximizing sales...

hello cubase

remute99

Post by remute99 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:00 pm

dokx wrote:Do you think the Abletons don't know what to do?
You've clearly never used Live 8 if you think Ableton know what they're doing. They couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery.
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6