Still OSX Lion problems after upgrade to 8.2.5

the shaman

Re: Still OSX Lion problems after upgrade to 8.2.5

Post by the shaman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 pm

having a MIDI problem. seems like a ghostly MIDI input is being seen in ableton. any input?
**HIGHER GROUND PRODUCTIONS"- Livebook 320 GB Laptop/KOMPLETE 5/KORE 2/MASCHINE/AKAI MPK 49/MBOX 2 MINI/ABLETON LIVE 8.2 SUITE

l3xh2k

Post by l3xh2k » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 pm

I too am having problems with audio suddenly stopping. I'm using a Focusrite Saffire (the white one) with nothing else on the fw chain.

I can restart by opening the audio prefs, switching audio input to nothing and back to the Saffire.

Yesterday, it happened during a jam, I was playing my guitar through Live, not even touching the laptop
(previous times it happened typically when dragging in a plugin or switching a preset or something)

This is a serious chronic problem. Help, please.

Fleshtone

Post by Fleshtone » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:28 am

l3xh2k wrote:I too am having problems with audio suddenly stopping. I'm using a Focusrite Saffire (the white one) with nothing else on the fw chain.

I can restart by opening the audio prefs, switching audio input to nothing and back to the Saffire.

Yesterday, it happened during a jam, I was playing my guitar through Live, not even touching the laptop
(previous times it happened typically when dragging in a plugin or switching a preset or something)

This is a serious chronic problem. Help, please.
Exact same problem here!!!

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:39 pm

Sounds very much like the problem I've been having (although I've been assuming it's an issue with Apogee's Maestro V2 driver with Duet V1... as I've been having the same issue in Studio One, Maschine and Kore... perhaps it's a Lion thing?)
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

elipsis1

Post by elipsis1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:15 pm

So what happens to you all when you try the built in audio? The same?

I have been using live in lion (Live 8.2.7) and have not had any dropouts like you mention, but I have noticed that it does take some time when I hit "solo" on a track, before it actually solos it...

virtualboy

Post by virtualboy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 am

elipsis1 wrote:So what happens to you all when you try the built in audio? The same?

I have been using live in lion (Live 8.2.7) and have not had any dropouts like you mention
I have the problem but with rme fireface 400 and Lion. Did anyone find a solution for this or do we have to wait for new Lion update.

cheers

l3xh2k

Post by l3xh2k » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:46 am

elipsis1 wrote:So what happens to you all when you try the built in audio? The same?

I have been using live in lion (Live 8.2.7) and have not had any dropouts like you mention, but I have noticed that it does take some time when I hit "solo" on a track, before it actually solos it...
At the request of Ableton support, I tried and failed to reproduce the problem using my MBP's builtin audio which seems to implicate the Lion fwaudio driver but I have also tried reproduce with Logic and Reaper and they appear to be immune.

I am tempted to think that there is also a midi component to the issue as I have been able to reduce the frequency of the problem by telling Live to not accept midi from my fw audio interface (I only have one device connected to my Saffire and that's only for tempo/clocking info) but this is just an intuition.

A little frustrated because if I worked there, this would be fixed...

misteralan

Post by misteralan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:49 pm

l3xh2k wrote:

At the request of Ableton support, I tried and failed to reproduce the problem using my MBP's builtin audio which seems to implicate the Lion fwaudio driver but I have also tried reproduce with Logic and Reaper and they appear to be immune.

I am tempted to think that there is also a midi component to the issue as I have been able to reduce the frequency of the problem by telling Live to not accept midi from my fw audio interface (I only have one device connected to my Saffire and that's only for tempo/clocking info) but this is just an intuition.

A little frustrated because if I worked there, this would be fixed...
Hi fellow OSX and Live public sector beta people.(how else can I label those of us that have paid dearly for our computers, OS'es, and audio programs etc?)

I too am having similar audio and MIDI issues with my main audio host Ableton Live and my OSX Laptop.

Right now the combination of:
Live 8.2.8
OSX 10.6.8(which is not LION but I believe has audio and MIDI frameworks in common with LION as few audio programs and device drivers had to be updated in order to work with 10.6.8, the final release of Sown Leopard)

AS of today,March 18 2012, the issues I am having like those in this thread have stopped while I am running Ableton Live 8.2.2 and OSX 10.6.8.

I have heard this from a few of Apple's developers that A big part of our problems come from Apple's handling of changes in hardware, drivers, and OS related stuff...

My guess is the changes in Coreaudio and CoreMIDI for our cat friend LION are quite substantial and expensive in terms of developer hours for our beloved programs like Ableton... and from what I've heard Apple literally has made big changes overnight and left the developers and us,the end users, with COMPLETEY UNUSABLE SYSTEMS!

I am at least thankful that an earlier iteration of LIVE(8.2.8) and OSX 10.6.8 seems to play nicely...well for now anyway :o ... but I know that for those of you that are stuck with the LION Macs my chiming in is of little help...other than for empathy as I feel your pain!

As a professional guitarist I incorporate my laptop rig when the appropriate and I have to count on the fact that I can turn the system on and pick up from where I left-off... In this case I updated LIVE to 8.2.8 and have spent the past week of prep and practice time discovering the current set of problems :cry: ... I wonder if my success from rolling back Ableton to 8.2.2 is just wishful thinking :?:

I will report back if I learn anything.
Good Luck to all dealing with this issue..
-AL

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Well I guess I spoke too soon. Having this issue myself now with Live 8.3b4 and OSX 10.7.3 with my RME FF400. Audio spikes and crackles intermittently, then drops out all together at times (briefly). Cannot reproduce in the latest version of Logic or Studio One, it's only happening in Live.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:32 pm

This is also happening in Live 8.2.8.

EDIT: Rolled back to a previous driver for my FF400 and now everything is just fine. Must be a soundcard driver issue after all.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com