Why is ableton working on yet another beta that is 32bit?

Dankk

Why is ableton working on yet another beta that is 32bit?

Post by Dankk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:02 pm

Ableton truly doesnt "get it." We dont need new 32bit upgrades, we need a 64bit DAW!! Every other (worthy) DAW is 64bit now and has been for a while. Why oh WHY doesnt Ableton step into the here and now and release a 64bit DAW? Working on this 32bit nonsense is counterproductive.

I love ableton, but I am going to have to move to either Cubase 6 (most likely) or Sonar's new X1 DAW. I cant use 32bit anymore, not enough RAM. Bye ableton..

doghouse

Re: Why is ableton working on yet another beta that is 32bit?

Post by doghouse » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:00 am

Because not everyone is on a 64 bit OS yet?

There's still plenty of software vendors struggling to get 64 bit compatible versions out the door, it's not just Ableton.

What we need more than 64 bit programs is programs that don't make wasteful use of memory and CPU resources.

IMHO of course :wink:

maara

Post by maara » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:21 am

doghouse wrote:Because not everyone is on a 64 bit OS yet?

There's still plenty of software vendors struggling to get 64 bit compatible versions out the door, it's not just Ableton.

What we need more than 64 bit programs is programs that don't make wasteful use of memory and CPU resources.

IMHO of course :wink:
Nearly everyone who is using Ableton on osx is running 64bit operating system so the 64bit version makes sense....
-----------------------------------------------------------
Live Suite 9+M4L+APC40+MOTU Ultralite MK3+Maschine MK2+AXIOM 25

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:24 am

Because there are minor improvements/bug fixes which are far more important to some users than 64bit compatibility. If there's a bug in the program, that affects every user, is generally much easier to implement and is more critical than an upgrade to 64bit.

I couldn't give a fuck about 64bit right now to be honest.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

cids

Post by cids » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:27 pm

You won't see 64 bit before the next major release of Live arrives... don't underestimate what has to be done to make a 64-bit version... you also have to make sure that you really need 64 bit...!
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

interpolate

Post by interpolate » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:55 pm

I'm beginning to believe 64 bit is becoming a bloated term like "4G Network"

I'm not even sure if people know what it is, but feel they need to have it because other products are advertising it.
Ableton Suite 8 & Max4Live

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:21 pm

interpolate wrote:I'm beginning to believe 64 bit is becoming a bloated term like "4G Network"

I'm not even sure if people know what it is, but feel they need to have it because other products are advertising it.
yep, me too

there are valid reasons to ask for it, but I'm not always convinced that these people have one - otherwise they'd mention the actual reason in the request. EG: If I wanted a better reverb I'm pretty sure I'd include "...because Live's reverb sounds granular and it crashed my cat"
Because the reason would be the motive for me asking and therefore at the front of my mind. Without supplying the reason I tend to categorize people into that large realm of internet users who constantly complain at everything and try to sound 'pro' by being negative. The best indicator of one of these users tends to be multi-posts and dramatic statements of intent. "I'm leaving you !!! You noobs!!!"

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Come to think of it, why isn't live 4g compatible yet???? FML!!! Noobs!!!1111
ob1techno.com

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Why is Ableton working on yet another beta that doesn't include a new fifteen oscillator synth, a plethora of new FX and an AI parallel parking assistant?

Dankk

Post by Dankk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:00 am

@olly.. just because you have no use for 64-but ableton (or more likely cant understand why you need it), with your 10 puny tracks playing crap noone cares about, does NOT mean that it isnt a valid request.. So what if you dont care about it? ALLLLLLLLL other major DAW's are 64bit now.. so you just sit in your tiny hut and live in 32 bit world.. THAT, i dont give a fuck about.

@interpolate.. I know axeactly what 64-bit is for, do you? what a stupid comment.

Ableton has been saying they are moving to 64 bit for a LOOONG time now.. Ive already moved on to Cubase 6 (which is awesome by the way with native 64 bit support) and if you dont know WHY you need 64bit, then you will be just fine with 32bit, Ableton WILL lose a major amount of customers if they dont step up soon. They lost me already.

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:53 am

they probably need to rewrite it from scratch, it will be a major upgrade for sure, not a 8dot.dot update, probably not even a 8.dot

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:11 am

Dankk wrote:@olly.. just because you have no use for 64-but ableton (or more likely cant understand why you need it), with your 10 puny tracks playing crap noone cares about, does NOT mean that it isnt a valid request.. So what if you dont care about it? ALLLLLLLLL other major DAW's are 64bit now.. so you just sit in your tiny hut and live in 32 bit world.. THAT, i dont give a fuck about.

@interpolate.. I know axeactly what 64-bit is for, do you? what a stupid comment.

Ableton has been saying they are moving to 64 bit for a LOOONG time now.. Ive already moved on to Cubase 6 (which is awesome by the way with native 64 bit support) and if you dont know WHY you need 64bit, then you will be just fine with 32bit, Ableton WILL lose a major amount of customers if they dont step up soon. They lost me already.
Dude, I'm a software architect, so I'm pretty sure I understand 64 bit architecture. Now go fuck yourself.
ob1techno.com

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:33 am

ollyb303 wrote:
Dankk wrote:@olly.. just because you have no use for 64-but ableton (or more likely cant understand why you need it), with your 10 puny tracks playing crap noone cares about, does NOT mean that it isnt a valid request.. So what if you dont care about it? ALLLLLLLLL other major DAW's are 64bit now.. so you just sit in your tiny hut and live in 32 bit world.. THAT, i dont give a fuck about.

Dude, I'm a software architect, so I'm pretty sure I understand 64 bit architecture. Now go fuck yourself.
lots of disrespect going on around here.. play nice guys. Don't assume anything about people who you haven't met face to face yet.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:00 am

No, seriously, he can go fuck himself.

I have no need for 64 bit at the moment - in fact, my live rig is running a 32 bit OS - I'd much rather see critical updates. That doesn't justify the bullshit this dickhead is slinging back at me.

FWIW, I started producing music and performing live using 12/16 bit machines with less than 1Mb of RAM.
ob1techno.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:08 am

64 bit will likely be a paid upgrade, to expect anything less is asking for more than the standard operating procedure in the industry.
Getting mad at people for suggesting that 64 bit isn't as important as bug fixes???

Not every mac user is 64 bit, and really, until all third party plug ins are then it's not that great of the thing.
Until then if you have a 64 bit OS and want to take advantage of Kontakt in 64 bit run it stand alone. You're not going to see any miracles in terms of track count or CPU use in 64 bit in fact it will likely use more CPU in 64 bit, the big advantage is RAM and samplers like Kontakt, MachFive 3 etc.