Live8.2.7 STILL not dying from Task Manager after crash

golemus

Live8.2.7 STILL not dying from Task Manager after crash

Post by golemus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:04 pm

One of the most serious bugs that I have complained already many times on this forum is still in 8.2.7. When Live crashes the Live8.2.7.exe process will not die even if you try to kill it. It takes like 3 minutes of waiting before it finally vanishes from task manager. So every time Live crashes I have to wait for 3 minutes before I can start it again (or boot the machine which will take almost equal amount of time).

Can it really be that difficult to repair this? Somebody from Ableton blamed sound card driver for this behavior but no other host does this, for example Studio One or Cubase when they crash the process also terminates immediately. Can't you programmers put this now to top priority? It is very difficult to work as live crashes quite often and I have to wait to start it again. And I was definitely not the only one with this problem many others complained about the same thing 1-2 years ago. Plenty of time there to fix the bug but why has nothing happened???

Jrel

Re: Live8.2.7 STILL not dying from Task Manager after crash

Post by Jrel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:26 pm

golemus wrote:One of the most serious bugs that I have complained already many times on this forum is still in 8.2.7. When Live crashes the Live8.2.7.exe process will not die even if you try to kill it. It takes like 3 minutes of waiting before it finally vanishes from task manager. So every time Live crashes I have to wait for 3 minutes before I can start it again (or boot the machine which will take almost equal amount of time).

Can it really be that difficult to repair this? Somebody from Ableton blamed sound card driver for this behavior but no other host does this, for example Studio One or Cubase when they crash the process also terminates immediately. Can't you programmers put this now to top priority? It is very difficult to work as live crashes quite often and I have to wait to start it again. And I was definitely not the only one with this problem many others complained about the same thing 1-2 years ago. Plenty of time there to fix the bug but why has nothing happened???
I agree with this post. It has been my main issue with Live for over 2 years now.

cchasson

Post by cchasson » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:02 am

It is perhaps not only when it crashed. With a new laptop with a core I5 on Windows 7 64 bits, when i closed Live 8.2.7, i could see it in the task manager several minutes after the close, ironically, i have not seen this behaviour before, for example in live 8.2.3 !!!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:15 am

It could be due to USB drivers for devices attached. I have had this issue with multiple DAWs over the last 7 years and all due to my M-Audio MK461C keyboard. Doesn't display any issues but on occasion when I get a crash the DAW in question will not quit task manager. not even by force kill. When I switch my keyboard off the process dies.

I would guess it is something like this or more people would be having the issue.

The Coil

Post by The Coil » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:58 pm

+1, this is insanely annoying. It's adding insult to injury, not only will Live crash, but then it won't go away so you can restart and get back to work.

ancient

Post by ancient » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 am

I never ran into this prior to moving to a Windows 7 machine. I never saw it on XP.

In my case, it turned out to be a VST plugin (FXpansion ORCA) that was causing a crash on exit, followed by a freeze of Ableton in Task Manager. It *might* be that some other plugin is causing a similar problem for the OP.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:37 pm

I use the APC, a BCR2000, and Bomes Miditranslator as part of my Live workstation.
When this hanging occur after a ram crash (almost every day) I restart the controllers and Bome. After this, Live always disapare from the prosess manager.

golemus

Post by golemus » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:18 am

In addition to M-Audio Fasttrack Pro I confirmed this same problem now even with Native Instruments Traktor Audio 2 USB interface and NI is supposed to be the most stable audio interfaces (after RME) out there.. so definitely no blaming of soundcard drivers, problem is in Ableton Live.

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:05 pm

hmm ive got it only my big desktop comp. (since 8.1.3)
most of the times when closing live.

hmm on both comps the same vsts installed no USB devices!
its annoying like hell ...
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

sawanotsuru

Post by sawanotsuru » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:59 pm

hi, i know it's not a real fix but i just figured out a quicker way to get rid of the hanging process than rebooting: log out and back in again. takes 10secs on my pc vs. 2min for reboot. much better for keeping the groove going.

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Wed May 09, 2012 1:46 pm

sawanotsuru wrote:hi, i know it's not a real fix but i just figured out a quicker way to get rid of the hanging process than rebooting: log out and back in again. takes 10secs on my pc vs. 2min for reboot. much better for keeping the groove going.
cool idea checking. :)
well ive got the problem with 8.2.8/8.3 (that are the versions im running currently.)
i had the problem with all versions starting from 8.1.3 to the current one.
not sure if the hidden command 'ForceUserHyperthreading' will solve it. but its worth a test i think.

golemus

Post by golemus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:39 am

maybe wishful thinking but is this problem still there in 8.3.0 or 8.3.1b ...., can anybody confirm...?

push

Post by push » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:53 am

Just came here after having this issue. Found a solution.

Unplug your MIDI controller / sound card.

I unplugged my Akai MPK, turned off my firewire Focusrite, and the process killed itself.

It's a driver hanging issue, pure and simple.

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:36 am

push wrote:Just came here after having this issue. Found a solution.

Unplug your MIDI controller / sound card.

I unplugged my Akai MPK, turned off my firewire Focusrite, and the process killed itself.

It's a driver hanging issue, pure and simple.
i have no such things plugged and i cant unplug my soundcard - since its plugin in via PCi Slot.
well just had a crash in 8.4 b8 x32 and the process was gone in 1 min in the task manager, which looks like ableton fixed something.