'tis the season for scammers - beware!

Looking to sell or buy gear or software? Post about it here.
Please read the License FAQ before buying or selling a Live License: http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/license
alexisreptar

'tis the season for scammers - beware!

Post by alexisreptar » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:50 pm

I was scammed by a user. Sent them the money and then they came up with countless excuses why they haven't been able to transfer, and won't send the money back and have since gone silent. I confirmed with other users that they attempted to keep "selling" two days after I sent them the money. The post, while locked, is still up, and I think this is dangerous because other innocent people could be messaging this scumbag.

I have removed the information because I finally received the license, many days later.

Be careful out there, people. Most of you are awesome, and we're just trying to make music here, but always protect yourself and your money, especially at this time of year. If you start to feel suspicious with a transaction, don't proceed with it.
Last edited by alexisreptar on Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: 'tis the season for scammers - beware!

Post by [jur] » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:01 am

What’s the seller’s name?
You said you ended up getting your license anyway, so why is it a scam? Are you sure the license is legit and working?
Ableton Forum Moderator

alexisreptar

Post by alexisreptar » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:22 pm

[jur] wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:01 am
What’s the seller’s name?
You said you ended up getting your license anyway, so why is it a scam? Are you sure the license is legit and working?
I ended up getting the license 5 days later, a few hours after I posted this, after going through my bank, paypal, and the police. It was a scam at the point when I posted this, because I hadn't received the license after so many days, was given countless excuses for the first few days, and then they completely disappeared.

I removed the name, as I don't want to "dox" somebody who finally paid up, but if you look at the threads in this area, it's the only one that's locked.

The license is completely legitimate, as I can see the device registration history from early 2018 onward - if it were illegitimate, one would think that Ableton would have caught it by now, and in transit for the transfer.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:18 pm

Thanks for following up so we know how it turned out.

Gdaddy

Post by Gdaddy » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:47 am

I'm glad you finally got it. That sounds stressful!

alexisreptar

Post by alexisreptar » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:26 pm

Gdaddy wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:47 am
I'm glad you finally got it. That sounds stressful!
:D