VST update problem.

ThomasHelzle

VST update problem.

Post by ThomasHelzle » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:55 pm

After Installing Live Beta 8.4 b1 I changed the path for VSTs to my 64 Bit VST folder.
They were scanned all right as far as I could see in the info line, but afterwards they were not visible in the Plugin pane.
I restarted Live but they were still not there.
I went to Preferences and not knowing what to do hit Rescan Plugins.
Whithin 1 or 2 seconds all the plugins were shown in the Plugin pane (while a full scan takes quite a while).
It felt as if not a full rescan was done but just a refresh which didn't find new plugins but actually did show what was there already.

I guess it's just a one-time refresh glitch.

System: Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit, 14 Gig Ram, Geforce 8800GT, Dual Quadcore Xeon 2.8 Ghz (it's a Macpro 2008 running Windows), Presonus Firebox.

Cheers,

Tom

Bernd

Re: VST update problem.

Post by Bernd » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi Tom,

can you make this reproducible? E.g. by removing a plug-in from your plug-in folder and restart Live. The plug-in should disappear. And then you move it back to the plug-in folder and restart Live. The plug-in should appear again. If one of the two changes in Live's browser does not happen automatically, please send a PM to Mads [mal] and we will see if we can organize a TeamViewer session.

Regards, Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:19 pm

No, the case you describe works.

And I can't reproduce it with changing the VST path again.

When I first started the Beta after initial installation, Live 64 seemed to use the same config as the regular 8.3, so it scanned the 32 Bit VST folder set there on first start (This behaviour is not ideal IMO BTW. It would make more sense to either leave the VST 64 path empty initially or ask the user for it after install on first load).

My impression was, that this initial confusion created the problem. I don't know what Live does there and how it's planned to work in the future, but I guess there will be either two configs or separate entries for things that need to be different for the two versions, so they can be installed side by side.

When I started the regular Live 8.3 afterwards, it also rescanned the entire VST folder, so I guess that you guys somehow did reset the path for both versions and then rescan on load?

The only way I could think of reproducing it would be completely uninstalling Live and delete all config data (wherever that may be hidden), then install 8.3, set and let it scan the VST folder and then install the Beta and see what it does, but since it's not really critical, I don't know if it's worth it. I'm not prepared to do that anyway.
Maybe you can just review the process that Live is going through in above situation and see if there may be a fault.

BTW. I understand why you locked down the thread about needing multiple VST paths. But you also have to understand that from my point of view this IS related to beta 8.4 and a problem that I didn't have with 8.3, since there it wasn't a problem and now it is ;-)

Cheers!

Tom

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi Thomas,

I am locking this thread since we are not making progress in finding out what happened on your system. Please dont hesitate to add new threads if the probelm re-appears.

Best,
Mads