Is a bit bridge coming?

ezelkow1

Is a bit bridge coming?

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Just wondering if there is a definitive decision one way or the other for a bit bridge. If not then I can go invest in jbridge now, but if one is coming then there isnt much point. I saw in some other forum posts that some ableton reps had said there wasnt much point since jbridge existed, but that it wasnt off the table

Angstrom

Re: Is a bit bridge coming?

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Official word
Bernd wrote:Hi, currently we think we should not develop our own bridge solution as

a) we expect little improvements over solutions like jBridge.
b) see the need for it getting smaller and smaller over time.

But, hey, if you think we should invest here instead of all the other great areas we could invest in, please raise your voice in the 'Feature Wishlist' forum.

I will lock this thread now to make it easier for us to keep track of the open issues.

Regards, Bernd.

Torley

Post by Torley » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:57 pm

My hope is that there'll be effective cooperation between Ableton and João Fernandes (maker of jBridge, VERY responsive and helpful) so that people with 32-bit plugin needs can be aware of this highly useful tool, and bugs with bridging various plugins can be solved. There are some fantastic plugins which will likely never go 64-bit because their companies are out-of-business or they're simply "old" and haven't been updated in years.
Yes, that Torley. I use Live to do THIS. :)

J.Hartmann

Post by J.Hartmann » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:22 am

The best option right now is to have both versions installed. I use the 32-bit to load old plugins, bounce to audio and import to the new version.

I really can't live without some of those plugins that probably will never be updated again :(

Jrel

Post by Jrel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:38 am

Angstrom wrote:Official word
Bernd wrote:Hi, currently we think we should not develop our own bridge solution as

a) we expect little improvements over solutions like jBridge.
b) see the need for it getting smaller and smaller over time.

But, hey, if you think we should invest here instead of all the other great areas we could invest in, please raise your voice in the 'Feature Wishlist' forum.

I will lock this thread now to make it easier for us to keep track of the open issues.

Regards, Bernd.
Yeah, their answer was dismissive. Wish I had seen it earlier. Of course, the need for 32-bit will drop slowly over time, but why not fully support your current user-base?

Obviously, jBridge doesn't work for everyone. See thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=182960.

And if jBridge only costs 15 Euros; then licensing its technology or developing a similar solution is not that costly. Plus, Ableton will be one of those few DAWs that can say "Yes, we support 64- AND 32-bit plugins".

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Jrel wrote: And if jBridge only costs 15 Euros; then licensing its technology or developing a similar solution is not that costly. Plus, Ableton will be one of those few DAWs that can say "Yes, we support 64- AND 32-bit plugins".
complete with the bugs to go with it... i'd really prefer them not to get distracted with the whole 'why doesn't live work with my special 10-year-old plugin through the 32 bit bridge? i need it to write my special psychedelic banjo jazzstep music' etc. let them focus on bezier curves in automation instead :)

mcnelson

Post by mcnelson » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:09 pm

theophilus wrote:
Jrel wrote: And if jBridge only costs 15 Euros; then licensing its technology or developing a similar solution is not that costly. Plus, Ableton will be one of those few DAWs that can say "Yes, we support 64- AND 32-bit plugins".
complete with the bugs to go with it... i'd really prefer them not to get distracted with the whole 'why doesn't live work with my special 10-year-old plugin through the 32 bit bridge? i need it to write my special psychedelic banjo jazzstep music' etc. let them focus on bezier curves in automation instead :)
+1. And why reinvent the wheel, unless it's shit?
Ableton Live::Audio Damage::Sonic Charge::Sugar Bytes

hgt

Post by hgt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:51 am

8O
anyone tried jbridge with refx vanguard and/or quadrasid?
does it work?
refx says they won't release 64bit version of their plugs but rather sell a new 64bit vanguard2 soon...
what is the timeframe for m4l to work in 64bit ableton live?
i have been using lots of m4l modulation fx in my sets and will need to find some third party plugs to substitute m4l since i won't go back to 32bit... any recommendations???
:arrow:
:mrgreen:
gee hgt

hgt

Post by hgt » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:06 am

bought jbridge mac and it works fine with refx vanguard, refx quadrasid and faw circle.
only issue i noticed is audiodropouts when opening closing the bridged plugs gui.
bought sugarbytes turnado to substitute m4l modulation+fx devices. like it even though its not really comparable...
gee hgt

wasoota

Post by wasoota » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:00 pm

jBridge is a fix, not really a solution. It's a shame Ableton has gone from leading the pack to gasping to catch up. Both Renoise and Reaper have bit bridges that are rock solid (unless you confuse them with folder shortcut loops necessary to work around Live's only-one-VST-folder limitation. :roll: ).

Berndt probably meant "all the other areas we should invest in" not "all the other great areas we could...". I'll certainly give them that. Now that 64bit has effectively axed m4L, Live 9 has actually got to be really good (no more "no, but you can do that with m4L").

@hgt: Meldaproduction Creative Bundle offers a lot of modulation options.

studiologic

Post by studiologic » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:33 pm

wasoota wrote:jBridge is a fix, not really a solution. It's a shame Ableton has gone from leading the pack to gasping to catch up. Both Renoise and Reaper have bit bridges that are rock solid (unless you confuse them with folder shortcut loops necessary to work around Live's only-one-VST-folder limitation. :roll: ).

Berndt probably meant "all the other areas we should invest in" not "all the other great areas we could...". I'll certainly give them that. Now that 64bit has effectively axed m4L, Live 9 has actually got to be really good (no more "no, but you can do that with m4L").

@hgt: Meldaproduction Creative Bundle offers a lot of modulation options.
if you want to use Ableton Live 64-bit with 32 bit plugins... jBridge is the solution...

a matter of fact... i like Ableton's approach... testing out the program/features a few features at a time... once the vsti(s) implementation/testing is complete... they will start the next phase of testing... with the hardware going 64-bit along with "most" developers... why should Ableton support legacy software? therefore... if Reaper and Renoise has the features that you are looking for... by all means use them...

Ableton are on the right path here... i could see if there were "no" 32-bit Live... but there is!!!

wasoota

Post by wasoota » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:58 pm

I'd agree if this was three years ago. And I'd agree with you if a bit bridge was coming. I'd even agree if only jBridge was a fool proof, glitch-free solution. Maybe even if they built jBridge into the software like Cakewalk apparently did. But unfortunately none of that is true. They haven't even added an option for multiple plugin paths. Maybe that's a great thing they're working on.

I do deduct from their answer however that they must be stretched pretty thin at Ableton right now, and that doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling looking forward to Live9.

You're right of course, no choice but to suck it up or change. I currently only have one plugin that glitches under jBridge (sadly one of my faves) and replacing Live's native instruments would cost me a lot more than I'd get out of selling Live so...

But man, what ever happened to the "Hell yeah you can!"-Ableton of yesteryear.

studiologic

Post by studiologic » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:17 pm

wasoota wrote:
I do deduct from their answer however that they must be stretched pretty thin at Ableton right now, and that doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling looking forward to Live9.
i do not think that is the case... i think those yearly updates caught up with Ableton... i feel Ableton is really sorry about the Live 8 release and made promises to themselves that would never happen again...

they went back to basic... which i think is a great idea... after they get the platform stable and robust... Ableton's innovation will take over "again"...

wasoota

Post by wasoota » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Let's hope so.

jasonjbundy

Post by jasonjbundy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Hopefully Ableton is not wasting its time, money, resources in developing a bit bridge. I have used the bit bridges in both Logic Pro and Cubase (on Mac) and they are buggy shit. Dishonorable mention: Cubase has THE worst bit bridge implementation I have ever had the displeasure of using.

And as far as developers not communicating with their user base as to a possible 64bit version of their product (like Sylenth1), move on as there are alternatives; some of them are even better (Diva, Retrologue, etc.).