Mackie Control Pro LCD gets corrupt during playback

shadiradio

Mackie Control Pro LCD gets corrupt during playback

Post by shadiradio » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:52 pm

With a Mackie Control Pro connected (either via USB or MIDI through any interface), the scribble strip readout gets corrupted during playback. Everything is fine when Live is stopped, and all the functions of the MCU Pro seem to work correctly, but once you start playing the bottom line of the MCU text either is replaced with all periods (...... ...... ...... ......) or the text actually gets garbled with wrong characters showing everywhere. After this point, it's almost impossible to get it to show correctly.

This is with an MCU Pro with the latest firmware (4.02), and Mackie Control as the controller selected in Live's midi options.

Sidenote: during playback, Live's bottom right activity indicator next to "Key" at the top right is constantly on, presumably to send the meter levels to the MCU. It seems like there is some kind of competition for the LCD display between different systems. For example, if I press the Pan button on the MCU to show the pan levels of the tracks, you can see it flash for a split second before it return to all periods.

[mal]

Re: Mackie Control Pro LCD gets corrupt during playback

Post by [mal] » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi shadiradio,

Using the Mackie control Universal via MIDI I could not reproduce the display error, in test for approximately 4 hours in a busy project with both channel volume and pan position automations.
This was on win 7 / 64 using the latest 8.4b4.
- Are you using OSX?
- Can you reproduce this error with 8.3.3, the latest release?.
- Does it happen in both 64 and 32 bit of the 8.4b4 beta?.
- Which port type is listed for the mackie control, MME?. If yes, dows changing this to other port types eliminate the error?.
- Are you sure you have the option "meter" deselected on the controller. When this is enabled it will give you a miniature read out of channel volume. If there is no activity, this will indeed be listed as "....", deselcting this brings the displays back to listing DB and pan position.

best,
Mads

shadiradio

Post by shadiradio » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:54 am

Hi Mads -

- I'm using OS X (Mountain Lion, 10.8). I've heard that there are issues with Mountain Lion's USB 2 / USB 3 drivers... could this be the case? Although... I do recall trying the MCU over MIDI, but again, it was always running through a device that was USB in the end.
- I can reproduce it with 8.3.3 as well... basically same exact results.
- I've only tried the 64bit 8.4b4, but I'll try out the 32 bit later.
- MME doesn't apply (OS X)?
- I do have "meter" both selected and deselected, and when it is on, it behaves as you would expect (mini track volume meters on the 2nd line of the display). However when it is enabled, whatever is on the 2nd line of the display gets replaced with the "......". For example, if you are looking at Pan information, and you have "meter" disabled, and you start the song, the pan information all disappears and you have all dots.

I actually edited one of the python scripts for Mackie Control so that the MCU is useable for me, and this seems to have fixed it. In ChannelStrip.py I changed:

Code: Select all

def on_update_display_timer(self):
        if self.__signal_led_enabled or self.__meters_enabled:
to:

if self.__signal_led_enabled and self.__meters_enabled:
Basically changing the "or" to "and" makes sure that Live only shows the track level meters when the both the meters are enabled AND the signal led is enabled. I believe the signal led is always enabled, so this always seemed to get triggered (or something).

Thanks for your time! Let me know if I can try anything else for you, and high five, I love Live (looking forward to v9).

Edit: I posted a short video of what I'm experiencing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXLk6PdlEpQ

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:23 am

Hi Shadiradio,

The mackie control universal is MIDI only. And since I didnt know your OS I asked for the MME port. This is correctly windows specific.
The info is very helpful, both video and the suggested change to the scripts. Testing the script change I see garbled displays when quitting live, but I have handed on the suggestion for further testing to see if this would impact the older versions of the Mackie controllers.

I will lock this thread since this is now tracked and on the radar.

Thanks for the effort!

Best,
Mads

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:54 am

this should be fixed in the 9.0.3 beta. Please have a look if you are in the 9.0 beta program.

shadiradio

Post by shadiradio » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:48 pm

AWESOME. Can't wait to check it out.

shadiradio

Post by shadiradio » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:52 pm

Unfortunately everything seems to be the same. :(

Here's an image to illustrate what is happening (using 9.0.3b3):

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:00 pm

:(

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:22 am

shadiradio wrote:Unfortunately everything seems to be the same. :(

Here's an image to illustrate what is happening (using 9.0.3b3):

YAY, someone else with the same issue with a MCU (sorry for your issues though).

To clarify, I do not have issue 1 with the corrupt display, all working fine there using USB on Win7 to MCU Pro.

The issue in number 2 where the display shows nothing but ......... for a track playing audio IS an issue with the Ableton script and I have been told it wont be fixed. That is the only thing that does not work and the biggest gripe. Works beautifully in Nuendo but not in Ableton.

Anyway, issue 2 is known but apparently wont be fixed. Your other issue is news to me.

The very last one when you quit Ableton is exactly the same as I get.

Here is a funny one. If I use Nuendo with the MCU pro and then switch to Ableton, Issue 2 is "fixed" and displays the data as it is suppose to. That is weird but basically shows there is something a miss with the script. There just are not enough users with an MCU for Ableton to take notice though.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:22 pm

I would love to see this fixed. Specifically, issue 1 posted above in the image where audio on a channel deletes the description on line 2.

I have sold one of my controllers while I wait for Push and have been using the MCU a lot to adjust macros but you loose all info when playing the track. I tried to have a look at editing the file but that seems way to hard to figure out. Live9 does not change anything.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:14 pm

shadiradio wrote:

if self.__signal_led_enabled or self.__meters_enabled:
to:

if self.__signal_led_enabled and self.__meters_enabled:
Basically changing the "or" to "and" makes sure that Live only shows the track level meters when the both the meters are enabled AND the signal led is enabled. I believe the signal led is always enabled, so this always seemed to get triggered (or something).
I managed to do some investigating and find a site where all the remote scripts have been decompiled for the MIDI Devices
Here. I edited the lines above in the ChannelStrip.PY file and it fixes the issue fine for me. Basically now to view the data on line 2 when audio is playing you simply need to press the meter button to switch off the meters and the data is displayed as it should. This seems like such a simple fix that I cannot believe it has not been done again. So glad to actually be able to use the controller to tweak plugins..