CPU Spikes, Audio dropouts getting worse with time

greekpeet

CPU Spikes, Audio dropouts getting worse with time

Post by greekpeet » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi,

I'm running the latest version of the beta and have noticed how working on a basic set with very little plugins ~40% CPU usage is causing massive audio dropouts and clicks. Sometimes the audio will be blank, the mixer 'freeze', and sometimes come back 10 seconds later with all the midi out of sync (not using any audio).

Sometimes when this occurs I have to close Ableton, and restart the application for it to stop. It appears at random when it does do this. Over the last 72 hours of working on the project its getting worse as time progresses with no additional plugings being added.

Getting to the point where the application is unusable for any composition work, even for VERY light projects.
Also noticed that the longer I work on a project (from a clean slate) the worse it gets, even if I'm not adding any more plugins or effects.

Using the 64bit version of Ableton with jBridge.

At first I was unsure if this was due to a faulty firewire cable or hardware issue with my MacPro. This only occurs in Ableton.
This was starting to be an issue in 8.3 (and again every 'upgrade' of the Ableton application gets worse and worse performance wise even on the fastest of computers making it impossible for any composition work.

I get better performance and stability with Logic 8 on my system with Snow Leopard than the last several versions of Ableton.

I'm using only 4 instances of Diva (in draft mode), and one instance of Battery (64bit). The same sounds in Logic do not give any issues what so ever (realize Diva is a very CPU intensive application, but this is 100% to do with Ableton).

Are there issues with multi-core supported plugins in Ableton (such as Diva that allows the multicore tab to be checked)?
I pray this is fixed as its getting to the point of being unable to work in any type of professional, or even project based environment.

greekpeet

Re: CPU Spikes, Audio dropouts getting worse with time

Post by greekpeet » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:06 pm

One more issue, is sometimes when this has occurred the entire system had become frozen and the entire OS had crashed.
This was 3 times in one night where I had to hit the power button and got the 'grey screen crash' that required a hard reset of the system.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi GreekPeet,

I have been monitoring this thread to see if others would report same issues. We would need more info on your problem, to be able to identify what is going on.
Please try to reproduce this "leak" over time by excluding:
1) Jbridged plugins
2) Diva
There are options in Jbridge to enable multicore for plugins that do not natively support multicore, did you check this option when bridging the plugin?.

Please look at your activity monitor when the problems start to appear - is your memory full?, and is the CPU showing spikes?.

best,
Mads

banned

Post by banned » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:16 pm

@greekpeet: fwiw, are you aware of the latest update to Diva (now at v1.1.1)? That should work as 64-bit. I haven't tried Jbridge myself, nor do I use Diva's multi-core option, but I can use Diva in 64-bit Live as expected.

greekpeet

Post by greekpeet » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:31 pm

banned wrote:@greekpeet: fwiw, are you aware of the latest update to Diva (now at v1.1.1)? That should work as 64-bit. I haven't tried Jbridge myself, nor do I use Diva's multi-core option, but I can use Diva in 64-bit Live as expected.

I don't believe that they have a 64 bit version for the mac yet. Disabling the multicore feature and not switching quality modes mid project has made things more stable. Trying beta version 5 now, seeing if they might play nicer together.

jasonjbundy

Post by jasonjbundy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:39 am

The latest version of Diva is 64bit AU on a Mac.

banned

Post by banned » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:37 pm

Yup. So, @greekpeet: just be sure to use the AU, not the VST version (at least for now).

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:31 am

Hi,

Was there any news after exchanging the bridged version of Diva with the released 64 bit version?

Best,
Mads

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:31 am

Hi,

I am locking this thread since we are investigating performance issues in the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=184822

best,
Mads