Unable to get any 32 bit VST to work using jBridge

Simbosan

Unable to get any 32 bit VST to work using jBridge

Post by Simbosan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:33 pm

Time of this report: 8/12/2012, 00:27:55
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: Z68X-UD4-B3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8176MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Downloaded Demo Jbridge

First try, see if it will just work. I have a bunch of 32bit VST fx and instruments, this was never going to work but hey ho, worth a try

Process:
1) Ran the jbridger process over my vst directory, created the bridge files in a separate directory as recommended. Not sure how this can work for complicated VST with their own data files but ...
2) Ran ableton 64bit and swapped Ableton VST directory to the new bridged dll's and received many errors in the format:

Title: MLSharedMemory
Message: This buffer already exists (xxxxxxx) - please report this.

In the end the VST listing was empty.

Second process, see if I can get a single VST to work

1) deleted all the bridged DLL except the Akai EWI USB instrument
2) rescanned, no sign of the instrument in the ableton browser
3) Restarted Ableton and rescanned, still ableton doesnt pick it up. Tried alt-click on the rescan button, no joy.
4) Tried disabling and re-enabling custom vst folder. No joy

Repeated that process with a simpler bridged VST. Using Valhalla Shimmer. No errors but no sign of the VST in the browser

Repeated with Kontakt 3 and 4
This is where I get the buffer already exists messages. There are a few Kontakt DLL will track which is which if needed.

I have also tried:
Just for good measure I tested with a genuine 64bit VST (ValhallaShimmer) and it shows up and works fine without issue.

So what am I missing here...

Another thing that confuses me, jBridge talks about jBridge 'aware' DAWs, why can't Ableton be jBridge 'aware'. This would be a 'good thing' I would imagine.

I will go through the list of VST that don't work and try and get version numbers where possible, but so far there are zero VST showing up. It's a lot of work and it's late here, will post more detailed results tomorrow

Cheers

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

[mal]

Re: Unable to get any 32 bit VST to work using jBridge

Post by [mal] » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Simbosan,

A list of plugin versions would be very helpful, since we are not seeign the errors you describe using Jbridge.
I am suspecting you might have checked the options to disable Advanced ram usage and disc streaming options when bridging - that would explain why Kontakt 3/4 would overwrite buffers and bring up the error you describe. (Do you have Kontakt 5?, it is 64 bit)

Please try to delete your preferences.cfg and rescan the folder.
Which Jbridge version are you using?

If this persists, please send in the "get support" -> send status report, and also attach your preferences.cfg before trashing it.

best,
Mads

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi Mads

I did work this problem out in the end, apologies for not updating this. I was still in contact with Abelton support on some issues. The problem was that I didn't run Ableton as Administrator, the demo version of jBridge doesn't warn you.

So that's all working now and I have all the VST I need working fine now (including Kontakt 4 64 bit)

Apologies again for not updating this thread.

Simon
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:11 am

Hi Simon,

Good news!, and also a good pointer for windows users. I will lock this thread since your problems are sorted.

Best,
Mads