Default VST Plugins folder on Windows 7

ZenPunkHippy

Default VST Plugins folder on Windows 7

Post by ZenPunkHippy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi,

I can't find this problem reported elsewhere ...

Observed behavior :

The 32-bit version of Live 8.3.4 is installed and authorised. The plugins folder is set to:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugins
At this point installing and running Live 8.4b7 for the first time defaults the plugin folder to the same location, which won't work because the folder typically only contains 32-bit plugins.

Expected behavior :

A sensible solution would be to use the folder configured for the 32-bit version, but remove the " (x86)" part if it exists.

Variables :

n/a

Did you see this error more than once?

This happens every time I restore a partition containing Live 8.3.4 and then update to the current Live 8.4 beta.

Can you reproduce this error on a second computer or on another platform?

See above

Can others reproduce your problem?

Don't know.

Attachments:

n/a

Peace,
Andy.

[mal]

Re: Default VST Plugins folder on Windows 7

Post by [mal] » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:32 am

Hi Andy,

Ive noted the problem. Ideally Live would not scan a 32 bit folder when the 64 bit version is launched.

What happens during the scanning, do you have a "deadlock" where live stalls scanning the 32 bit folder?

best,
Mads

ZenPunkHippy

Post by ZenPunkHippy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:54 am

[mal] wrote:What happens during the scanning, do you have a "deadlock" where live stalls scanning the 32 bit folder?
It didn't cause any problems, but there was only have 1 plugin installed for testing. On a normal system with 10's or 100's of plugins it might cause some headaches.

Reported more as an annoyance - users want to open Live and get on with using it, including me :)

Peace,
Andy.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:59 am

Hi Andy,

Live will look in the folders designated in preferences, but your comment/observation is valid. Especially for windows users with non standardized plugin paths where it can be confusing that a scan will commence and nothing is available in the plugin pane after that.

I have made a request out of this in our internal tracking, and hope to see a solution. I will lock this thread for now to keep overview of open issues.

best,
Mads