Playback stutter when launching scenes in 8.4b7 + weird ram?

Fanu

Playback stutter when launching scenes in 8.4b7 + weird ram?

Post by Fanu » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:03 am

For the first time ever, I started a live set of mine to rehearse a bit.

So far, I've only been playing it with the 32-bit version (8.3.4), but this time I wanted to try out the 64-bit version (8.4b7).
Often, when I launch scenes of that set in 8.4b7, I get the short stutter / drop-outs in playback.
The audio settings are the same in both: I've set buffer to 1010 samples in both versions.
This is especially bad at some parts in the set when I hit scene launch very rapidly: the 32-bit version handles it OK while 8.4b7 handles it very poorly and the stuttering is very bad and the audio cuts out constantly.
I still have to play that set in 32-bit Live as playing it with 64-bit is not good enough.

Also, I noticed this:
When I open System Activity (I'm on Mac, 10.6.7), opening the set in 32-bit Live seems to take up around 2.7 gigs of "real mem", while opening the same exact set in the 64-bit beta takes around 4.6 gigs of "real mem".

Also, I swear, this one time when I opened up the 64-bit beta and tried to push the audio buffer as high as possible, it went up to 2048 or something.
Normally it goes up to 1152 in both versions.

I've got an 2011 MacBook Pro with 16 gigs of ram and an SSD hard drive so it should be very fast.

If you need any more info, I'll be glad to help.

[mal]

Re: Playback stutter when launching scenes in 8.4b7 + weird ram?

Post by [mal] » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi Fanu,

Doesnt sound good, lets get to the bottom of it.

When you experience the glitch / overload, and you playing tracks that contain VST's? NI massive by any chance?. We saw a bug previously that overloads would occur when VST's had longer program change lists, triggered by clip properties.
Are you using any bridged plugins (jbridge)?
So does the overload occur when playing normal wave/aiff clips?

Best,
Mads

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:54 am

[mal] wrote:Hi Fanu,

Doesnt sound good, lets get to the bottom of it.

When you experience the glitch / overload, and you playing tracks that contain VST's? NI massive by any chance?. We saw a bug previously that overloads would occur when VST's had longer program change lists, triggered by clip properties.
Are you using any bridged plugins (jbridge)?
So does the overload occur when playing normal wave/aiff clips?

Best,
Mads
No, I don't have Maschine.
No JBridge either.
It's all rather regular stuff.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:19 am

Hi,

I will lock this thread since we are analyzing performance problems in the thread here;
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=184822

best
Mads