Ableton Live Suite 8.4 final (x32/x64) program only setups?

Lumix

Ableton Live Suite 8.4 final (x32/x64) program only setups?

Post by Lumix » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:05 pm

i remember back from the previous versions of v8 there were always an option to download the "program only".
(in the size the beta was)
i have a bit of a traffic problem - my week traffic is limit to 7GB only.

so where is this option now?
i have the whole ableton library install - so i dont want to waste my traffic - for things i already have download. :?

if its not the right forum - please move it.

Thanks,
Lumix
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

banned

Re: Ableton Live Suite 8.4 final (x32/x64) program only setups?

Post by banned » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:07 pm

You can still find those in Ableton's so-called Download Archive - which ironically enough isn't an archive at all. You will not be able to find a previous 8.x version there.

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:59 pm

ive checked this section. only the big big installer is up there.
which i managed to grab today finally from another connection - thanks i have a good friend.

but seriously - why they not giving us a smaller one - it would save bandwidth.
ive checked the entire content which was in there - its the same like 8.2.8 and also the other versions had up to this version.

banned

Post by banned » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:04 pm

Oh sorry, indeed, you're right. I mistook the non-suite version for the program-only version we also want to see.

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:14 am

hmm im still looking for them @[mal]
i hate to store the big 1.7GB setup will all the alps inside. y no make a little setup like the beta was?

steko

Post by steko » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Doesn't help with traffic, but:

After running Live 8.4 the first time & quitting, I deleted all the .alp files in: /Applications/Ableton Live 8.app/Contents/App-Resources/DefaultPackages/ - (OS X) (& some other stuff like manuals in languages I don't speak...)

Live 8.4 is now only 340 MB ("Builtin Lessons" would be another 91,4 MB).

A "repair library" (& probably trying to update Live automatically from within Live -> I deactivated that) of course now doesn't work anymore…

I stored the complete 1.7 GB Live 8.4 installer on some backups elsewhere though.

Agree that they really should have the small "program only" installers too!
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Post by 102455 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Send 'em an email and have a moan.

The lack of program only downloads has been mentioned on here (and to Ableton) before, but nothing happened.

Seems like they need a good swift kick up the butt before they'll do anything. The more emails they get about it, the better I'd say.

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:08 pm

102455 wrote:Send 'em an email and have a moan.

The lack of program only downloads has been mentioned on here (and to Ableton) before, but nothing happened.

Seems like they need a good swift kick up the butt before they'll do anything. The more emails they get about it, the better I'd say.
sounds like a deal :) will do that!

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 am

yeah, pretty annoying to have the C: Drive cluttered with all those files even if you have your library somewhere else.
I don't even understand why they aren't deleted after install - I never had to repair my library ever.
I did it once by accident and it took something like two full days...
I delete the files myself like steko, but it would be great to have the non-content-version back.

<Rant>
I don't understand where Ableton is headed and I find myself care less every day.
More and more user-unfriendly things are piling up and it's stagnating in the important areas.
:cry:
</Rant>

Cheers,

Tom

banned

Post by banned » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:58 pm

ThomasHelzle wrote:yeah, pretty annoying to have the C: Drive cluttered with all those files even if you have your library somewhere else.
I don't even understand why they aren't deleted after install - I never had to repair my library ever.
[...]
My guess is that it must be related to handling of support questions, some of which can presumably be more easily handled by Ableton if they can tell users how to reinstall stuff. (I also routinely clean up this redundant stuff from my drive - but at least the installers don't place Windows-only binaries on my OS X install anymore, and vice versa, as they used to do. Go figure...)

More generally, imho this also explains the lack of options / preferences (or even their removal, e.g. the plug-in buffer size setting is now gone in 9.x). Live seems to be targeted at noobs rather than power users, and I'd bet there's much more money to be made that way.