Crash : AdefaultWinSystemExceptionHandler::handleStageOne

Please join the new beta forum at https://ableton.centercode.com/login.html
BioMech

Crash : AdefaultWinSystemExceptionHandler::handleStageOne

Post by BioMech » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Hello,

I noticed that Live always crash sometimes (the same set) when loading some heavy sets (OK on LIve 8 x64, bugs detected since live 9 beta and already described in old "getsatisfacition"beta forum, crash reports already sent with latest beta).

It is particulary annonying for one of my live set : I have to reord and work on it (I make a lot on improvisation when performing) to do a song in less than 2 weeks for a compilation (mixing, mastering, voice recording)...

This sets correctly loaded and works on latest live 8 beta x64, I made a lot on addition on it since I use live 9 Beta but I didn't add new effects (except izotope ozone 5 on master) nor automation, only tweaks and a lot of new patterns - I don't think it's linnked to computer limitation (When fully loaded : ~500MB-1GB/6GB is available / i7 processor use < 20% with some peaks to 60%).

When I load these sets, a popup window appears
indicating that
" a serious program error has occured
This application will shut down after this message box is closed
AdefaultWinSystemExceptionHandler::handleStageOne"

I also noticed (when loading this set) that sometimes (crash or not crash) circle 1.0.8 VSTi (FAW circle jbridged which worked OK with beta 8x64) was not correctly loaded (a popup windows appears indicating that circle can't be loaded - then only one of the 2 circle sessions appears as disabled and as an effect in ableton "detailed" view)

config : win 7 x64, latest beta 9.0.2b3 x64, edirol ua-101, i7 / 6GB RAM, Akai APC20&40, KOrg PAdKontrol, edirol PCR-800, avast free AV

Best,

[mal]

Re: Crash : AdefaultWinSystemExceptionHandler::handleStageOne

Post by [mal] » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi,

Please send in the crashpack to beta@ableton.com
Ideally also a copy of the set where you can reproduce this crash.

If others have this error, please describe under which circumstances you can reproduce this error and post here.

best,
Mads

ampt808

Post by ampt808 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:14 pm

I received this error after attempting to open a Live 8.3.4 x86 set - Files\Open Recent Set\xxxx.als - Live 9 then produced the error. This occurred 5 times.

FYI...I sent the Crash Report to crashes@ableton.com.

***Update***
Interestingly enough, the Live set giving issue contained Sylenth1 on a MIDI track. I removed Sylenth1 and, voila, the error is gone. I have tested my other VSTs (Superior Drummer, Sausage Fattener, and Reaktor 5) and receive no errors from them.

My suggestion is to attempt to open each VST in 'Plug-ins' and see if the error message shows up. If so, remove the problem VST and then restart Live to see if the error resurfaces. Repeat as needed.

Hope the above helps someone else with the error at hand.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi,

I would be interested in hearing if removing Sylenth remedies more HandleStageOne crashes?
I would also be interested if this is reproduced with 9.0.3

Best,
Mads

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:53 pm

I had this yesterday with the latest beta. I loaded up a fresh set, inserted an instance of synthmaster and immediately tried playing a note (possibly before it was finished) and got this error

Was not able to reproduce it afterwards

just sent in the crash report

Kampell

Post by Kampell » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:03 am

got this crash too. and this sucks. live is playing in a loop and then it crashes. mostly when i change a patch of kore2. after reloading live i cant restore the set with the history. if i try that, live crashes again and again and again. :cry:

greetings

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:21 am

Just had this happen again, this time with fusor from dcam synthsquad. Error report from fxpansion forums:
I had it resized to 1.25 and was messing around with some presets from plughuggers new set. I had the patch browser open and then I decided I wanted to change the oversampling so I hit the wrench and the dialog never came up. After that I was not able to close the patchbrowser either. I could open and close the fusor window though.

I decided to try and remove fusor then re-add it. When i went to remove it I got the errors shown in the attached jpg

This was with latest live9x64 beta

The big error box at the bottom is the stageone error

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:59 am

I also have this error but it occurred in both 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 as well and only to two sets (so far, i really hope it doesn't happen again)

Win 7 16GB RAM

No issues in Live 8

FYI I do not think it is VST related because I changed the VST folder in Windows to trick Ableton into not loading any VSTs and I still get the crash. Any crashes I ever had in 8 were usually resolved by this step and then I could add the plugins back one by one to figure it out but now in 9 I have completely lost my work and get this error when I load the 2 bad sets. I cannot pinpoint or simulate or recreate the crash yet although I have tried by reusing similar plugins to the two unlucky sets. I sent an email already to support

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Mon May 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi,

Ezelkow - after the FXpansion crash, do you see crashdumps for FXpansion on your dekstop after this happened?
Please send in a report to beta@ableton.com containing the set you are trying to reload.

Mercury - Did support get back to you on this issue?.

Best,
Mads

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon May 06, 2013 3:09 pm

I've been getting this error quite a bit lately. After a lot of time spent troubleshooting, eliminating possibilities, I was left with only one culprit, and it's a pretty obvious one a that:

The movie window.

Sometimes it works (for awhile), and sometimes Live crashes the second I drop the video file on an audio track.

I'm on the 64-bit Suite version (6.0.3, which was auto-updated before it was pulled from the server; the crash happens in the latest beta too, though.), Windows 7 64-bit, and I've installed the demuxer and codec as per Ableton's suggestion.

I'm certainly no expert in this field, so it's completely possible that the video files are not properly encoded (though they work flawlessly in VLC); if anyone has any additional information on how to make a video file fool-proof for use in Live, It'd be much appreciated!

Edit: I've now tried this with video files I've converted to .mov myself, without any deeper understanding of encoding/decoding and demuxing and whatnot - AND with a presumably properly encoded file, acquired via torrent - for testing purposes, of course ;) I managed to drag the latter file into Arrangement, and assumed that the problem had to be related to encoding, but then I wanted to double-check; I deleted the clip from the track, and dragged the file back in, whereupon Live crashed again.

So: even though I can sometimes successfully drag a movie file into Live, deleting the clip and dragging the file back in ALWAYS results in a crash.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:24 am

[mal] wrote: Ezelkow - after the FXpansion crash, do you see crashdumps for FXpansion on your dekstop after this happened?
Please send in a report to beta@ableton.com containing the set you are trying to reload.
If I can reproduce it I will, Im not sure which log would directly correspond to this crash so Ill see if it will happen again tonight

-edit

So far I havent been able to reproduce the crash, but I have been able to reproduce the scenario of not being able to get in to the options. Seems like the transport has to be running, and even in that case its not every time that it happens. It might be time dependant since on fresh load I can still go in and out of the menu, but eventually I cant. So maybe once it gets into that state then it has to sit a while and then will crash on removal. Obviously this would point to a memory leak somewhere if it does

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue May 07, 2013 6:04 am

I downloaded Suite 9.0.2, 32-bit version, and I am unable to reproduce my crashes; I can drop, delete, re-drop videos all day long.

Has anyone else experienced problems relating to video import in the 64-bit version?

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Tue May 07, 2013 10:50 am

We uploaded the 9.0.4b2 yesterday.

Please have a look if you can reproduce the vdeo problems described.

@Biomech - Please remove the Circle VST from your folder completely and see if you can reproduce this crash. If yes - please send in the set you describe to beta@ableton.com and mark it (8.4 to 9.0 recall crash / regression)

Best,
Mads

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 pm

I let the beta auto-update, and did as follows:

1) Created an audio track.
2) Dropped a movie file onto it. No crash.
3) Deleted the movie clip, dragged the file back in. No crash.
4) Deleted the movie clip, dragged a different movie file into the track. No crash.
5) Deleted the movie clip, dragged a third movie file into the track ---> crash.

I would of course not be trying to crash Live under normal circumstances, but the thing is that I feel that, at this point, the crashes are quite random, but definitely linked to the handling of movie files.

Just so that you guys don't double up your work: I've also got a dialogue going with support via email, and there are apparently some issues with the ffmpeg codec, but nothing solid yet, as far as I understand.

ra78

Post by ra78 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi, there, guys&gals.
In my specific case I see (with 95% probability) that SampleTank is responsible
for my HandlerHandle bla-bla message.

Another points that came to my mind that may relate to are
(though aint strong in OS stuff at all):
1/ in this set I'm using 3 instances of SampleTank
2/ I'm running Win7 64 but 32bit Live and 32bit SampleTank
2.1/ Mads from Ableton said 9.0.4b is released but for heck sake how I should get it?
My Autoupdate is On, see no option to update it manually, staying with 9.0.4. at present.

Spent last 14 days in heavy messagin' with techsupp in Berlin,
doing fresh Win7 re-install and such.

No luck so far.

r.a.