Live 9 not playing well when changing soundcard buffer size

Please join the new beta forum at https://ableton.centercode.com/login.html
manasseh

Live 9 not playing well when changing soundcard buffer size

Post by manasseh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:42 am

Hello,

Ever since the first Live 9 betas, when changing the soundcard buffer size through "hardware setup" inside ableton always crashes the program, causing live to stop responding and losing the ASIO drivers altogether, having to restarting the program and select the proper drivers again.

My soundcard is an RME HDSPe AIO, and this behaviour never happened in live 8. Some help?
Live 10.1.30

violetpow1

Re: Live 9 not playing well when changing soundcard buffer size

Post by violetpow1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:07 pm

i have the same problem with my Fireface 800 on Live 9. The support knows it and has no idea.

manasseh

Post by manasseh » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:04 am

is windows 8 related to it? it's driving me mad cause happens everytime
Live 10.1.30

tecgen

Post by tecgen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 am

is windows 8 related to it?
I guess not. It happend on OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion with my RME Fireface UCX as well.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi,

Please list:
- Operating system
- Driver version
- Audio card company

I tried reproducing this with a 10.6 macbook and a RME babyface with no luck. Same for the Presonus 1818 VSL

Best,
Mads

manasseh

Post by manasseh » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:44 pm

RME HDSPe AIO, driver 3.35 (latest), windows 8
Live 10.1.30

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:54 pm

same here, with either the built-in soundcard or EMU0202 (latest driver).
each time i change the buffer size the sound gets really nasty, i have to relaunch the application.
OSX 10.8.3

Darkdreamz

Post by Darkdreamz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:03 am

Same problem here. My RME UCX worked fine until one day I came home, booted up, and crash...crash...crash...So I turn it off and load up Live 9. Basically sneak into the project which is 3/4 done, turn on my UCX, and then select it in the preferences. I've done this about 100 times...no exageration. I've gotten this way to work about 10 times. Now, I can load up Live 9 with my UCX on and it doesn't even see it. So I go in and select it...9 times out of ten...crash! So I had to basically bounce all my parts out without having audio, and load them up into another DAW which at this point I am switching to completely. This is ridiculous. All my other DAWs, (Cubase, Studio One 2, Audacity, Reaper) no problems what so ever. Its RME for F's sake...solid as a rock ALWAYS. And just FYI, all of my firmware and drivers are up to date. Which once this problem happened, I updated them and double and tripled checked they were working fine every where else, I actually think updating my AI made the problem worse. But oh well, I love Live for writing...always have and probably always will. Mixing down in Live sucks so I don't do it there anyway and as much as I"m digging Studio One 2, I think this may just put them over the top for me. Ableton...please fix this crazy bugs..Awesome DAW, but it has ruined my workflow and I have completely missed two deadlines now because of it.

Oh well..hopefully it gets fixed soon!

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 am

Hi,

The only assumption I had that could lead to this crash was even buffersize in the RME settings (64 samples) and setting uneven sample size in the ableton audio settings (65 samples).
When loading template sets with AU's that did not dynamically set the buffer size I saw a crash, but not the problems described here.
I looked for this problem using the babyfac and the Fireface 400, without luck.

- Do you have AU's in your template set?
- Do you have even buffers set in the RME panel and uneven buffers in the ableton audio settings?

In all cases please send in a status report to beta@ableton.com

Best,
Mads

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 am

same problem here with a komplete audio 6 when i change the sample rate or the buffer size. it´s not possible to play a clip or my arrangement and sometimes a reboot is necessary because reopen live doesn´t change anything.

windows 8 x64
live 9.0.4
native instruments komplete audio 6 (version: 3.1.0, firmware: 1.1.0)

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi Evengy,

If I remember correct you can set both USB buffer and Audio buffer in the NI audio control panel.
Can you tell me what your settings are?

Best,
Mads