CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Please join the new beta forum at https://ableton.centercode.com/login.html
Thom Nagy

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by Thom Nagy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:36 am

I tried running this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191549 on a 2010 Macbook Air (Dual Core, 1.8 GHz) and it had a way better performance, than m new Retina (i7, 2,7 GHz).

Weird.

fuzzyhead

Post by fuzzyhead » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:41 am

[mal] wrote:Hi Fuzzyhead,

I tried adding folders to places and removing the drive, the label in the sidebar is correctly greyed out.
When I delete the folder from the drive, the label will stay there but will not show any files.

I did at no point see the ableton index consume 100% CPU, nor that it was trying to rebuild the DB with missing files.

Ideally, get in touch with support at support@ableton.com and send them a status report

Best,
Mads

Hi and thanks for replying,I did try again and everything went fine.I guess that after installing 9.0.5 I should have launch this drive at least once in order to recover the path
to the files/folders missing that the index kept scanning,instead of deleting it right away..
What I did to make sure everything is ok is launching Live/ turning On the external drive/selecting a folder of this drive and adding it to Places/Quit Live/Ejecting the drive/Relaunch Live/Folder of the external drive is greyed out in"Places" but the index does not climb to 100%. 8)

damcfarr

Post by damcfarr » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:17 pm

Does anyone have these problems with a clean session? RIght at startup, I have a default template that gives me six empty audio tracks and three empty midi tracks- this hovers at a pretty solid 11% cpu usage meter. If I delete all the tracks minus one audio track, it goes down to 9% usage. This can't be the way things are intended to run in 9.

I have a MBP 2010 i5 8gb...

mckayallday

Post by mckayallday » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:25 am

My issue seems to be traced to Soundtoys AU beta 64 bit. I am no longer having these issues since removing the AU beta.

tekkers

Post by tekkers » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:27 am

well i hope there is a version 9.0.6 or at least a beta soon, i have not used live for almost a month now, it became really frustrating to use with the cpu spikes, spinning beachball for ages when i press stop, and the crashing of my firewire audiofire 2 whenever it feels like it..

so i've started using logic x - slow to use as i have been using live since version 1, but it does not crash on me or do any of the frustrating painful things live has been doing since 9.0.5

i'm sure you guys at ableton are working on it, but it sure feels like you are all playing around with push rather than working on fixing your core product :?

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi tekkers,

Sorry to hear you have severe issues using Live. As you can read in the thread here the root cause can be anything from bad drivers, system bottle necks to badly coded plugins. For a fast solution please contact support at support@ableton.com instead of waiting for a beta that 'might' solve your problem. Mostly the support agents will be able to sort out the issues.

Best,
Mads

dboy

Post by dboy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Likewise here, extremely frustrating trying to work around this. This happens consistently with different interfaces, stock plugins and the like. Live 9 is simply poorly coded for OSX and now it appears that Ableton is going to point the finger elsewhere. I'd love to see real traction on this but it doesn't appear to be coming anytime soon. On a side note, changing buffer size only takes when you disable and reenable the audio engine and Live STILL forgets the audio interface randomly and needs to be reset daily. Where's a fix for that? Do you not see these issues????

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:19 am

[mal] wrote:..the root cause can be anything from bad drivers, system bottle necks to badly coded plugins..
So it can be anything..except Live ?? Like, all these users with different (though generally powerful) hardware configurations report the same problem but it can be anything but Live, the one factor everyone has in common ?!
Mostly the support agents will be able to sort out the issues.
Umm, apparently not.Otherwise this thread wouldn't exist anymore, no ?

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:08 am

If you load the Point Blank formant filter to a project – even a totally empty one – the CPU goes crazy.
I've got Live 9.0.5, latest OSX, 16 gigs of ram, SSD, Macbook Pro 2011.
As soon as the effect is on, the CPU goes so wild, there's no stopping it...hitting almost 100%, absolutely killing the audio even though i only have one track and one audio sample.

Of course you have to have the plugin to see if this is the case for you, but you can get it for free from Point Blank at http://bit.ly/110kZzI

Please see for yourself and let me know – maybe we could be onto something here regarding the CPU trouble that's been a pain for us all?

PS: I've sent this to support.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:31 am

beatz01 wrote:
[mal] wrote:..the root cause can be anything from bad drivers, system bottle necks to badly coded plugins..
So it can be anything..except Live ?? Like, all these users with different (though generally powerful) hardware configurations report the same problem but it can be anything but Live, the one factor everyone has in common ?!

If you read the threads there is just as much speculation as hard facts pointing in all different directions and reasons for these issues. I can only repeat - we need the status reports from your computers (get support -> generate status report) sent to beta@ableton.com before we can say where the problem resides.

Mostly the support agents will be able to sort out the issues.
Umm, apparently not.Otherwise this thread wouldn't exist anymore, no ?
If people would get in touch with support, then there is a chance.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:57 am

Fanu wrote:If you load the Point Blank formant filter to a project – even a totally empty one – the CPU goes crazy.
As soon as the effect is on, the CPU goes so wild, there's no stopping it...hitting almost 100%, absolutely killing the audio even though i only have one track and one audio sample.

Of course you have to have the plugin to see if this is the case for you, but you can get it for free from Point Blank at http://bit.ly/110kZzI

Please see for yourself and let me know – maybe we could be onto something here regarding the CPU trouble that's been a pain for us all?

Hi Fanu,

This is on the radar as a content problem. On some systems, not all, the formant filter will create the peaks you mention. There are several reports of this. Here is another thread on the problem.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=192282&hilit=point+ ... ant+filter

Best,
Mads

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:21 pm

[mal] wrote:
Fanu wrote:If you load the Point Blank formant filter to a project – even a totally empty one – the CPU goes crazy.

Hi Fanu,

This is on the radar as a content problem. On some systems, not all, the formant filter will create the peaks you mention. There are several reports of this. Here is another thread on the problem.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=192282&hilit=point+ ... ant+filter

Best,
Mads
Thanks.

Is there a chance that the issue in question contains some info relating to the CPU peaking in general?