old live.objects/observers broken 9.05b1

Please join the new beta forum at https://ableton.centercode.com/login.html
neuromodulator

old live.objects/observers broken 9.05b1

Post by neuromodulator » Fri May 24, 2013 7:44 am

If I open my existing max for live patches, existing live.objects and live.observers are not getting set properly by their associated live.path objects, and won't get reassigned. There's something corrupt about them, it seems. Like, my existing patch has a "path control_surfaces 0" --> live.path --> live.object to address Push. It doesn't work and doesn't respond to "get name" or "getinfo" queries. But if I create a new live.object and feed it from the same live.path, it will correctly get assigned to Push.

All the live.objects and live.observers in my patch seem to be suffering from the same affliction. For instance, I've got a "path control_surfaces 0 controls 137" specifying a button_matrix observer and object, and if I query the object, it says it's the "select_button". If I create a new "path..." message and "live.path", I still can't correctly assign the live.object, but if I create a new live.object, it works as it should.

To be crystal clear, this is not a case of the control numbers being reassigned between versions. I'm sending the correct number and any live.objects and live.observers that were present in the patch I opened aren't responding.

neuromodulator

Re: old live.objects/observers broken 9.05b1

Post by neuromodulator » Fri May 24, 2013 8:08 am

Some further testing: the error is always present but not always identical. e.g. the live.object that should be assigned to the button_matrix and was identifying as the select_button was just saying "invalid syntax" after a quit and reopen. Saving the patch from within the new beta didn't fix anything. Paste-replacing over live.objects and observers doesn't fix them; they have to be replaced with a new object. Saving the patch with the replacement object in place worked on reopen.

Whoops, found a much simpler solution: deleting the max patch and replacing it from the browser produces a working version. I used to "replace" max patches by deleting them and then undoing the deletion, but apparently that doesn't "reboot" the patch the way it used to (or it does, but that doesn't address this problem). Deleting and dragging from the browser fixed everything.

[mal]

Re: old live.objects/observers broken 9.05b1

Post by [mal] » Tue May 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi,

I would really like to get to the bottom of this. Can you send in patches to show the example or steps how to reproduce the error to beta@ableton.com
Are you using MAX 6.1.2?, if not, please update and try to reproduce the wrong callbacks.

Best,
mads