Here's a simple workaround:
Just a reminder..
This is not a new trick, but it seems many still ignore it, as I still hear many people complain about the fact only the Drum Racks can use Push's step-sequencer..
Some people used External Devices to trick the system..
But there's a much easier option:
- Create a Midi track
- Put any instrument you want on it, VST, Core-Ableton component, M4L instrument... whatever you want.
- Right click the device you just added, select "Group to Drum Rack"
- On the created Drum Rack, click "Show/Hide Chains" (to actually show them)
- Next, click "Show/Hide Input/Output Selection" (to show them)
- In the chain where you instrument sits, under the "Receive" column, click and scroll up, ways up, and select "All Notes"
Your instrument inside the Drum Rack will receive midi messages for this channel on *all notes*, and since it's enclosed in a Drum Rack, it will work with Push's Step Sequ.