Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Discuss Push with other users.
tom_d

Re: Ubermap for Push 2 (VST/AU parameter remapping)

Post by tom_d » Wed May 25, 2016 9:51 am

peterswimm wrote:
I made the mistake of confusing Live's parameter limit with ubermaps! Back to the drawing board.
I dug into this and remembered whose problem this is. The problem is ubermap does not see the VST parameters for Dexed by default, so as a workaround I had to do the Live config thing where you click configure and click on each parameter in the UI to make it accessable to live (and push and ubermap). But dexed has 134 parameters so I had to leave some out. Even though ubermap will have infinity banks, there are a finite number of knobs live will let you assign. Not expecting there is anyway for ubermap to fix this, just a quirk to be mindful of for massive vsts that do not expose their vst params by default.
Well, there is potentially a not-so-elegant way to work around the limit, which is to create a Max for Live "wrapper", which loads the plugin into Max (with the "vst~" object), and then exposes all the parameters back out to Ableton. Max's VST loader isn't limited to the 128 limit, so you can access every parameter.

Someone has done it for Diva and Sylenth: www.xmonsta.com/product/diva-vst-xplugin/, but rather than having to create a separate wrapper for each plugin (although I imagine these are auto-generated in some way, as there are loads of parameters!), I was thinking it might be possible to use the JS support in Max for Live to create a generic wrapper M4L device, which can then load any plugin and expose all of its parameters back to Live. The downside here would be that you'd obviously have to load your plugins through a M4L device, which limits it to Suite users, and potentially introduces instability, but it would be great for some plugins so I'm going to give it a go anyway – if anyone is a Max expert, please get in touch, as I have no idea how to do anything ;)

Real shame the limit hasn't been removed from Live yet – some plugins actually expose 1000s of parameters, yet Live can only see 128. Kinda ridiculous.
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Wed May 25, 2016 9:52 am

nori.lam wrote:You are amazing!!!!!!

I have been wanting to rename/remap my VST's in Push for ages and today I discover this.

Thank you so much. I can finally use Hive without the cryptic and truncated names!

Definitely buying you a virtual beer man.
:D glad you enjoy it. I've got some more feature ideas I want to add and make it easier to install, and then was hoping to try and get it featured on a few blogs or whatever, as I think traffic to this forum is pretty low and there are a lot of people who would benefit from this functionality!
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 pm

tom_d wrote: :D glad you enjoy it. I've got some more feature ideas I want to add and make it easier to install, and then was hoping to try and get it featured on a few blogs or whatever, as I think traffic to this forum is pretty low and there are a lot of people who would benefit from this functionality!
Look forward to the future ideas! and I will def recommend to all my Push friends :)

BTW - I think I may have found a bug or I may have done something totally wrong...

I am using Live 9.6.2b2 since I dont have b1.

I am mapping Uhe Hive and I noticed that when I rename parameters that are originally showing up as text values (e.g. waveform types) there is a bug where the first parameter value is not being selected.

Ex. Hive has a waveform selector (sine unit, sawtooth unit, triangle unit, etc, pink) and I renamed them to (sine, saw, tri, etc, pink) in the [ParameterValues] area.
But when I turn the encoder on Push 2 (starting with sine), the text on Push's display will show sine even though saw is selected in Hive. This also happens in the opposite direction. This also happens no matter if I start at the beginning of the list (sine), middle or the end (pink).

To fix this, I just twist the knob fast back and forth and it will land on the right value but I need to look at Hive's configure window.

You can grab a copy of Hive demo here https://www.u-he.com/cms/hive and here is my config file.

Any ideas?

Code: Select all

[Banks]
[[OSC 1]]
30_Filter1: inputOsc1 = ON/OFF
22_Osc1: Wave = Waveform
23_Osc1: Unison = Unison
19_Osc1: Detune = Detune
17_Osc1: Octave = Octave
18_Osc1: Semitone = Semitone
20_Osc1: Vibrato = Vibrato
24_Osc1: Volume = Volume
[ParameterValues]
30_Filter1: inputOsc1 = Off, On
22_Osc1: Wave = Sine, Saw, Triangle, Pulse, Square, Half, Narrow, White, Pink
[ParameterValueTypes]
[Config]
Cache = False
Ignore = False

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu May 26, 2016 9:36 am

nori.lam wrote: I am mapping Uhe Hive and I noticed that when I rename parameters that are originally showing up as text values (e.g. waveform types) there is a bug where the first parameter value is not being selected.
This could be a bug – someone else reported something similar. I'll take a look!

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu May 26, 2016 9:38 am

peterswimm wrote:Understood on banks of banks, I was just chaffing a bit at the whole paging to go through six groups of 3 bank sections, but I'll live if it never happens to be sure!
Pretty sure "banks of banks" is happening! Needs quite a bit of work (I'm going to take the opportunity to change some core stuff like the config format – I'll ensure old configs can be migrated though) but I've proven the concept :) Will make a big difference to working with bigger plugins I think. Expect an update in a couple of weeks possibly :)

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Thu May 26, 2016 11:32 am

amazing news!

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to access Push's cool little pictures for stuff like HP, LP filters and waveforms?
Would be awesome to use them.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu May 26, 2016 11:35 am

nori.lam wrote:amazing news!

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to access Push's cool little pictures for stuff like HP, LP filters and waveforms?
Would be awesome to use them.
Not properly... at the minute, you will see them if you have a parameter which shares its name with one of the parameters which always get graphical icons for Ableton's devices. I think "Waveform" or perhaps "LFO Waveform" is an example. However, they are hardcoded to use the list of waveforms for the Live device, so don't match up properly.

I do think it would be really cool to get this working, but it requires some thought as it would involve altering the QML code which runs the Push display, as well as the Python code which Ubermap currently modifies, so it's kind of a new thing. Definitely on the list but there are a couple of more functional improvements I want to add before coming on to cosmetic things like that :)

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Thu May 26, 2016 7:48 pm

I started working on a map for Waldorf's Attack and its not going well.

- Get loads of Ableton Crashes when turning knobs
- This is one of those plugs you have to create a ableton config to map the knobs. There is like 80 params per synth voice times 16, so I was thinking I could just do one per drum rack pad with a instance each.
- Each time I added a control for step 2 it created a new. cfg file. Can I delete those intermediate cfgs?

Is there any other information I can get you?

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu May 26, 2016 8:31 pm

peterswimm wrote:I started working on a map for Waldorf's Attack and its not going well.

- Get loads of Ableton Crashes when turning knobs
Weird. Never seen a crash with Ubermap. Could you delete your Log.txt file to clear it out (in /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 9.6.2b2 on a Mac, unless you've already been upgraded to 9.6.2b3 in which case it'll be in there) and then next time it crashes, send that file to me? Will PM you my email address.
- This is one of those plugs you have to create a ableton config to map the knobs. There is like 80 params per synth voice times 16, so I was thinking I could just do one per drum rack pad with a instance each.
- Each time I added a control for step 2 it created a new. cfg file. Can I delete those intermediate cfgs?
Ah yeah, that will happen – annoying I know! Unfortunately there's no way to stop that short of removing Ubermap at the minute, but I am currently rewriting parts of it, so will ensure there is an option to temporarily disable it from writing out devices in the next version. But yeah in the meantime, you can just delete all the unneeded configs.

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Fri May 27, 2016 1:00 am

Its pretty reproducible! Sent you my log but it doesn't look very helpful.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Sat May 28, 2016 7:56 pm

nori.lam wrote:
BTW - I think I may have found a bug or I may have done something totally wrong...

I am using Live 9.6.2b2 since I dont have b1.

I am mapping Uhe Hive and I noticed that when I rename parameters that are originally showing up as text values (e.g. waveform types) there is a bug where the first parameter value is not being selected.

Ex. Hive has a waveform selector (sine unit, sawtooth unit, triangle unit, etc, pink) and I renamed them to (sine, saw, tri, etc, pink) in the [ParameterValues] area.
But when I turn the encoder on Push 2 (starting with sine), the text on Push's display will show sine even though saw is selected in Hive. This also happens in the opposite direction. This also happens no matter if I start at the beginning of the list (sine), middle or the end (pink).

To fix this, I just twist the knob fast back and forth and it will land on the right value but I need to look at Hive's configure window.

You can grab a copy of Hive demo here https://www.u-he.com/cms/hive and here is my config file.

Any ideas?
So it looks like this 'bug' is actually Push 2 :twisted:
I checked in Hive and NI Monark and certain parameters wont showup nicely on Push's display even without Ubermap.
This mainly happens with the waveform selectors on both VST's

Time to file a bug report with Ableton I guess...

edit: I know its a cosmetic thing so maybe it will land on your 'to-do' list :)
Could you auto add linebreaks just befor the default [[Bank 1...X]]?
Breaking up the block of text would greatly help my old eyes :)

peterswimm

Post by peterswimm » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:25 pm

New stable version, ubermap seems ok on it:
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... ase-notes/

Lots of general push changes, will have to test more carefully!

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:22 pm

peterswimm wrote:New stable version, ubermap seems ok on it:
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... ase-notes/

Lots of general push changes, will have to test more carefully!
Glad to hear it's working OK Peter! I've got sidetracked with other work, but will certainly put a fix in if anything is broken, and I do plan to get back to Ubermap soonish :)

dilettant

Post by dilettant » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:51 am

Hello!
I hope I did not miss this, but does Ubermap also work with Ableton 9.5?
I tried to make it work, replacing the path in the install.command file:

Code: Select all

# LIVE_MIDI_REMOTE_PATH="/Applications/Ableton Live 9.6 Beta.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts"
LIVE_MIDI_REMOTE_PATH="/Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts"
But no Devices are created in the Ubermap folder :(

EDIT:
Ok my bad, I missed this:
Requirements: Live 9.6.2.b1 Beta, Push 2 (Push 1 should also work, but some features will be Push 2 only)
Now I installed 9.6.2b5 and its working super duper awesome!!!
The only thing that is unhandy: When using Instrument Rack Presets from my User Library, a new config will be created for each Preset, not giving me the already mapped one inside the rack...

somaaudio

Post by somaaudio » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi Tom,

I have tried installing several times using the .command file and also following the manual instructions but my Push 1 dissapears from the control surfaces menu. I can see that the Ubermap folder was created in the Midi scripts and in the my User folder too.I have changed the global.cfg file to Push 1 too.
When i delete the midi scripts folder and replace it with my backup the push works ok again.
Any ideas,

Thanks in advance,

Im on 9.6.2 on a macpro running Lion and Push 1
Cesar Callirgos
Apple Mac Pro Quad 2.6 Ghz, 16Gb Ram.
Lion OSX
Ableton Live 9.6.2, Push 1, Launchpad mini and Motu 2408MK3.