All times are UTC

Post subject: Each clip has it own Preset
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:08 pm 

Hello, i'm using ableton live 9 for to produce tekno music, i usually perform for about 1hour so I need to have changes and good automations in my live.
I have an AKAI MIDI MIX and a Novation Launchkey, I'm using VST's like MASSIVE for example so I have an instrument rack and so on a channel assigned only for MASSIVE. The problem is that I can juste use 1 preset of MASSIVE in this channel...

I'm just starting using ableton and not very good at it, could somebody explain me a way to have for each clip a different preset of the same instrument/vst ?
Like this I can use the same instrument but when I switch clips I automatically have a different mapping

------

Bonjour j'utilise ableton live 9 dans l'optique de perform un live tekno d'1h en moyenne. Je possède un Novation launchkey ainsi qu'un akai midi mix. Je me trouve face a un probleme, j'utilise des vst dans mes lives, j'ai donc un canal dédié pour mon VST : "MASSIVE" par exemple, le problème est que je dois garder le même preset pour chaque clip.. N'ya t'il pas moyen d'avoir un preset enregistrer pour chaque clip ? De manière a utiliser le même VST mais lorsque je change de clip qu'il soit directement mappé différement

MERCI !! THANK YOU !!

Post subject: Re: Each clip has it own Preset
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:56 pm 

On each MIDI clip, it is sometimes possible to select the instrument's patch by manipulating the Bank/Program fields. The problem is that every instrument responds differently to these fields and some of them don't respond at all. Sometimes "Bank" equates to preset folder, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes patch 1 is equal to program 0 and other times program 1. You'll have to experiment and figure out the behavior for Massive.

I've had a lot of luck with Dune 2, for example, and some luck with my hardware synths, but Enzyme doesn't respond at all. You never know until you try.

If you can get it to work, you can specify which preset the instrument will play for each MIDI clip on the track, and will change presets as you launch each clip.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:58 pm 

An alternative way to do it is to use a M4L patch (there are various) which sends/select bank and patch, then you could use automation in each clip to change the parameter controlling patch number.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:11 am 

Maybe my preset rack for Massive can help you, its free

https://www.facebook.com/AbletonPushVstRacks/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:09 pm 

I made it thanks to all ! Creating an Instrument Rack. I saved different presets of my MASSIVE VST and than created different channel with those presets in an Instrument Rack. I used a Potard of my akai MIDI mix and mapped it on the chain selector, thanks to all ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:54 pm 

Greeky wrote:
I made it thanks to all ! Creating an Instrument Rack. I saved different presets of my MASSIVE VST and than created different channel with those presets in an Instrument Rack. I used a Potard of my akai MIDI mix and mapped it on the chain selector, thanks to all ;)

This is a solution you can use, but I would only use it when no other solution exists. I would also map it in a way that the chain selector is also mapped to the on/off button of the plug-in so that each instance is only turned on when the chain that plays it is active. Otherwise you waste precious resources.

But in this case it is not the method of choice since Massive supports preset change by Program Change message (the bank/program thing mentioned above that you find in all Midi clips.)

I would rather try to get that to work since then you don't have to use this work around that is cumbersome and potentially wasteful.