All times are UTC

Post subject: Using Push to change patches/presets
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:01 pm 

Hello,

My Live sets are usually set up to work like so: a keyboard track loaded with an instrument rack to play sounds; additional tracks with loops that play in sequence via scenes and IAC; and a track with clips that control the patch changes. A button on the controller "initiates" a song, and the controller's presets change which song the button is mapped to. The song is defined via scenes. So, a preset for Song A will launch the scene that starts the loops for Song A and change the keyboard sound to Song A's keyboard, a preset for Song B will launch Song B's loops and keyboard sounds, etc.

I've been looking into Push's capabilities for my set controller and as full-featured as it is can't see that it jives with this workflow, which otherwise works really, really well on my keyboard and pad controllers. Any Push users out there have suggestions for managing song presets and sets?

Post subject: Re: Using Push to change patches/presets
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:32 am 

rmedek wrote:
Hello,

My Live sets are usually set up to work like so: a keyboard track loaded with an instrument rack to play sounds; additional tracks with loops that play in sequence via scenes and IAC; and a track with clips that control the patch changes. A button on the controller "initiates" a song, and the controller's presets change which song the button is mapped to. The song is defined via scenes. So, a preset for Song A will launch the scene that starts the loops for Song A and change the keyboard sound to Song A's keyboard, a preset for Song B will launch Song B's loops and keyboard sounds, etc.

I've been looking into Push's capabilities for my set controller and as full-featured as it is can't see that it jives with this workflow, which otherwise works really, really well on my keyboard and pad controllers. Any Push users out there have suggestions for managing song presets and sets?

Is this what your trying to achieve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27vb9d4xajo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:05 pm 

Mark Williams wrote:

This is what I’m already doing with keyboard and pad controllers. Those clips are lined up with loops in specific scenes for each song. I can’t see an elegant way to navigate to different scenes with Push so I was wondering if anyone has any solutions or alternate approaches.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:53 am 

rmedek wrote:
Mark Williams wrote:

This is what I’m already doing with keyboard and pad controllers. Those clips are lined up with loops in specific scenes for each song. I can’t see an elegant way to navigate to different scenes with Push so I was wondering if anyone has any solutions or alternate approaches.

Why don't you think you can switch scenes?

Go to session mode then the repeat buttons along the right-hand sides launch scenes. I think it's shift-session to "zoom out" so you can navigate large sets via the pads.

What am I missing?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:08 pm 

blof_eld wrote:
Why don't you think you can switch scenes?

I didn't say Push couldn't switch scenes. I did say that—as far as I know—there's no way for Push to fit with my workflow or elegantly switch to specific scenes.

For example, let's say the laptop is far away and I need to switch to the song "Burger Buns." On, say, my MPK225 I switch to the preset "Burger Buns" and hit my song start button. Which button on this Push launches Burger Buns? Image

I'm not married to this workflow, btw…I'm just wondering what other Push users do to manage song presets or patch changes. I don't have the luxury of memorizing the grid so for me that's not an option.